Head Case Survivalists

VPI

I found some coarse wire mesh (about 1/2" squares, 22ga? wire) while looking for bricks and formed a simple pot-support out of it. I think it is still a little too tall, but that is easy enough to fix. 

Pictures Please

I was too busy adjusting the little stand/base I built to take any. Plus it was dark. 

I will take some tonight. 

I got it to boil 2cups of water in 17.5min, using 1/2oz of alcohol. The stand is still a little too tall, and I need a proper wind-screen. I think with those changes it could speed up, and save a bit of fuel. 

Although the little wire mesh stand is probably lighter - 

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176

This thread ^ probably spells the end of my wire-mesh pot stand design.

So I picked up some more supplies today at REI.  I could not choose a sleeping bag so I talked to an REI employee, who I am pretty sure sleeps in a tent behind the REI, and he recommended I get a cheap REI convertible bag with Sea to Summit inserts to bring it to the temps I will be looking for.  Lighter than any of the bags and packs fairly small so it will be a start until I decide what bag I want.  Also got the REI flash sleeping mat.

i-ZfNwTgP-X2.jpg

Got a rain cover made of something called Event fabric.

i-X7vSjzQ-X2.jpg

and a Thermoball coat that can pack up into its own pocket.

i-rGJ95gZ-X2.jpg

I'm not a gear guy when it comes to camping (not even doing any backcountry camping now that I have little kids), but I like fire.  I've found a good way to make firestarters at home is to fill a cardboard egg carton with wood shavings, then pour in paraffin wax.  Wait for it to set and cut the whole thing up so you have 12 little easily-combustible paper cups full of paraffin and wood.  It's a cheap and easy way to get a fire going when the wood is a bit damp.

I like this idea a lot. Dryer lint works as a readily available substitute for wood shavings. Kept dry in a ziploc, lint works fine as tinder by itself.

• Like 1

I made a new base for the stove/pot using a utensil organizer from Ikea. 
The MSR Titan Kettle nests comfortably inside of it, and it will fit any of my Alcohol stoves. Even the big Svea military-surplus stove I have. 
I hope it will also work nicely with a small wood fire inside. 

15536103311_6e643f8c10_c.jpg
Ikea stove base by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr

15352635608_c105b2e099_c.jpg
Ikea stove base by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr

The very heavy looking steel tent stakes are indeed very heavy, and will be replaced with very light titanium stakes sometime. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to try out a good deal of my gear in the last week.  I think I might end up upgrading my sleeping pad to a wider one as my shoulders are wide enough that my arms/hands lay naturally off of the pad which is annoying.

I orded a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag as my go to bag with the REI Travel bag with inserts filling any other needs. 

Still have not bought a tent.  I looked at several but the light wants look like I would destroy them quickly so I might end up with a slightly heavier, stronger tent before I am done.

I orded a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag as my go to bag with the REI Travel bag with inserts filling any other needs. 

Still have not bought a tent.  I looked at several but the light wants look like I would destroy them quickly so I might end up with a slightly heavier, stronger tent before I am done.

Which WM bag did you get?  I have an Apache, which I've used comfortably down to about 10F in a not-so-warm tent.  It's quite an amazingly warm bundle for only 2lbs.  WM Bags definitely can outperform their ratings.

Concerned about destroying any specific points on tents? 

I actually got a Megalite as I really do not like being hot when I sleep.  Hopefully it will work but I do have the Thermalite liners to bring the rating down if I need to.

Most of the lightweight tents I was looking at had DAC poles which look strong but the thin fabrics look like they would tear very easily, maybe it is just appearance?

The only lightweight tents I've seen specific complaints about tearing easily are the Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum line, which I considered earlier this year, but ended up with a standard Fly Creek model, for only a few ounces more weight, but a more reassuring denier of fabric (and a bit more warmth due to less mesh).  Ed's had a BA Copper Spur for years that's held up well to use in some tough, rocky environments here in the southwest.  I also have a 4-season mountaineering tent that I have no worries whatsoever about damaging, but it weighs 6-7lbs depending on parts taken, for a 2-person tent!

Found an excellent outdoor store in Vermont called the Outdoor Gear Exchange. An amazing amount of gear, I just wish I could carry more back on the plane. Ended up getting a Summerlite WM bag, a bunch of clearance ExOfficio stuff and some compression bags.

• Like 2

What I did when I was in cheyenne was buy a duffel bag that folds flat when empty, and packed that full of the crap I bought there and checked it.  Now when I'm traveling someplace I think I might want to get more stuff from, I bring that duffel along. 

Yeah, I have two Red Oxx duffels I use for that, just didn't think I would have time to shop this trip.  The Western Mountaineering bag in the compression goes down to about 5x4 inches so no problem fitting in my regular carry on.

My son did a camping trip in NC last weekend. They froze due to lack of proper equipment but had a great time. I'm thinking its time for Jp, Raffy and me to start putting together our backpacking gear for a spring trip. My son is likely to do a Goruck Navigator course in April if he gets an 18x special forces contract, which is a 3 day backpacking trip to learn land navigation and other stuff in preparation should he get the contract. I would love to do it with him but I'm not going to ready for something that intense but would consider an east coast trip or possibly west coast led by Peter or both.

• Like 1