slow forum

postjack

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the firm belief that the newscaster should detach themselves from the story.

That's a swell idea, but it is all but nonexistent in major news coverage in the US at the moment. I suppose this sort of thing waxes and wanes, but the general journalistic approach seems to have migrated from "present all the facts" to "inform all the viewers".

Despite my personal political leanings, I really think Fox is in large part to blame for this. They are a decidedly, unabashedly right-leaning news organization, created as a counterweight to the other big three organizations, all of whom tend to lean more left. I think Fox's assault on journalistic neutrality really opened the door for the media climate we have today.

Luckily, that is what the internet is for. Television news cannot hope to keep up. Watch the ten minutes of pundits, then get the stories from whatever organization covers them best.

Others could argue that decades of the news shifting to a more and more left wing perspective created the problem.

I don't disagree with this, but I think Fox's approach was the kick, rather than the gradual shift. I don't think it caused the problem, but I do think it was one of the first openly partisan approaches to news coverage, and that in the last 5 years both sides have had fewer reservations about displaying their partisan underpinnings.

the general journalistic approach seems to have migrated from "present all the facts" to "inform all the viewers".

Agreed. The networks don't seem to think viewers can draw their own conlusions, IMO.

Despite my personal political leanings, I really think Fox is in large part to blame for this. They are a decidedly, unabashedly right-leaning news organization, created as a counterweight to the other big three organizations, all of whom tend to lean more left. I think Fox's assault on journalistic neutrality really opened the door for the media climate we have today.

Here in Canada we generally consider "Fox News" to be an oxymoron ;) BBC news (as well as CNN) is broadcast in Canada, so we have a few options to choose from, thankfully.

It gives me great amusement to see the degree of malice and hatred so many have for Fox (and I'm not lumping you in here, I'm referring to others). What they do is really not all that different than what a bunch of the other major networks do. Its just not as fun when it happens to the other side, I guess :)

For me it's the delivery of Fox News - from what little I've seen I've found it biased and focussed on the wrong issues at times. Mind you, I am by no means a regular watcher of TV news, so take my comments with a large grain of NaCl. The only "news" show I watch with any regularity is the communistic Daily Show, and its right-wing nutjob counterpart, the Colbert Report.

I think that the big problem with American news broadcasting happened 30 or so years ago. Before then, the news broadcast was to inform. Then somebody got the brilliant idea that the news should be a profit center too. So instead of presenting the news, the stations started selling it. Now the "news" is an enhanced, packaged product designed to sell to the desired audience.

I like the BBC as well. They still practice journalism.

Just tell me the facts, not how I should feel about them.

Very true. I especially like when the BBC does state anything that could be construed as an opinion, they preface it with "Our correspondent says", or "in our correspondent's view" or some-such.