Get your game on!

Fitz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

image.png

Baldur's Gate 3

I was sick with a summer cold last week and had some time to sink in to this. I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, but I spent the last few weeks studying up on it in order to be ready for this game.

It is not often that less than halfway through something I can already tell it is going to be genre-defining.

This is one of the ten best video games I have ever played and I am less than 1/3 of the way through it.

Take the rock-solid systems of Dungeons and Dragons polished by years and years of iteration by great game designers as a foundation. Add a truly gigantic world with insane depth and attention to detail. Have every dialog in the game be fully motion captured and voice acted. Oh yeah, and have a PC client that looks truly stunning in HDR with everything cranked and runs smooth as silk.

This feels like an all-timer. BG3 is something special and I don't give out this kind of praise lightly.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

2077 and Starfield... I want to be more excited but Baldur's Gate 3 was the best single player gaming experience I've ever hard. For them it will be like having to follow James Brown as an opening act.

I hope they live up to the promise but I don't see either coming close to the quality of Baldur's Gate. I hope I am wrong about that.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fitz said:

High fantasy doesn't grip me the same way sci-fi does, so BG3 is an easier one for me to wait for a discount to get. I've preordered both Starfield premium and Phantom Liberty.

Yes. I hate high fantasy as well. It is not my genre of choice. Did not stop me from loving every minute of the 100-ish hours it took me to finish the game. If you could deal with fantasy in the Witcher 3 it's not any worse than that. Certainly it is far far more benign than FF14, which makes me queasy to even look at 😉.

2 minutes ago, TMoney said:

Yes. I hate high fantasy as well. It is not my genre of choice. Did not stop me from loving every minute of the 100-ish hours it took me to finish the game. If you could deal with fantasy in the Witcher 3 it's not any worse than that. Certainly it is far far more benign than FF14, which makes me queasy to even look at 😉.

I mean, I'm definitely going to get it at some point, but I'll probably wait until I've played the previous titles (and maybe some of the other legendary CRPGs I've never played) before delving into it.

1 minute ago, TMoney said:

I have no idea why, but its a free country!

While Baldur's Gate may not have a pre-established protagonist to follow across games, I do generally find it more rewarding to experience a series in order. Seeing the evolution and changes in a series is interesting to me, it's been one of the things I've enjoyed the most as I go back to the original FFs to play them in order.

I'm working my way through BG3. Its also not my type of genre. Post apacalypse would be more my style. 

That said, it is amazing. One of the best games I've experienced as well. 

I'm also into lore and games in order but trying to go back to Fallout 1, reality set in and the monotony of those early games made it too painful, so I gave up. 

Edited by robm321
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, robm321 said:

I'm working my way through BG3. Its also not my type of genre. Post apacalypse would be more my style. 

That said, it is amazing. One of the best games I've experienced as well. 

I'm also into lore and games in order but trying to go back to Fallout 1, reality set in and the monotony of those early games made it too painful, so I gave up. 

Feel free to add me as a friend on steam, Rob! I'll follow along with your progress by looking at the steam achievements.

I love talking about the game with people but I hate to spoil things. The joy of making discoveries in this game is unlike almost any other game I've ever played.

Link to my steam profile: https://s.team/p/kwb-rtw/kbggtbtj

• Like 1

image.png

image.png

Is it just me or are the black levels totally washed out?

image.png

Yeah... something is definetly wrong with the colors.

I started on M+K but switched to game pad. What are you using, Fitz?

EDIT: Ok, I'm not crazy. Other people are noticing it too. Something is very broken with the black levels.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

Well I'm playing on all low right now to get decent FPS on my card until people work out the best tweaks for performance, so I'm not really paying too much attention to visual fidelity right now.

I'm using keyboard and mouse when on foot, and gamepad when flying the ship.

• Like 1

da fuq?

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II is quite good on the PS2. It doesn't have that floaty steering of the other versions and it has more tracks and cars, too. Good ole' Uncle Cracker keeps it coming...  🏎️:frantic:

Looks like those furries need cooling vests and proper ventilation for their, uh, extracurricular activities.

Edited by HiWire