Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

Yes, I'm ashamed to say I indulged my need for a spare L3000. Luckily I got both while they were still relatively affordable, back in summer '05. At least I'm not as bad as those R10 collectors/hoarders ;);D

The only other headphone I've owned two of at once was the W2002, and that didn't last long since I never listened to them.

I wouldn't be ashamed. I had two K1000s at one point :/

Now who's going to be the guy that hunts down a green L3000 O0

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm ashamed to say I indulged my need for a spare L3000. Luckily I got both while they were still relatively affordable, back in summer '05. At least I'm not as bad as those R10 collectors/hoarders ;);D

The only other headphone I've owned two of at once was the W2002, and that didn't last long since I never listened to them.

Yeah...Mike has two pairs of L3000 and spare drivers. Damn you Mike! :o

2. How do the soundstages of the W11JPN and L3000 compare?

That's the ONE area I'd consider fairly consistent between the L3000/W11jpn/W2002/W5000/W10vtg...

They've all got that intimate feeling, medium-sized soundstage/headstage. Other than that, the sonic balance and quirks can be all over the place between various models.

And yeah, the pads are all the same with the exception of the W5000 (a bit bigger).

That's the ONE area I'd consider fairly consistent between the L3000/W11jpn/W2002/W5000/W10vtg...

They've all got that intimate feeling, medium-sized soundstage/headstage. Other than that, the sonic balance and quirks can be all over the place between various models.

And yeah, the pads are all the same with the exception of the W5000 (a bit bigger).

Mike,

I believe the W2002 and W5000 have slightly bigger soundstage than the L3000, W11JPN, and W10vtg.

The inside of the L3000 is very similarly sized to the W11JPN, the W5000 always seemed a little more spacious than either, to me.

They also have a very similar sized soundstage, though the L3000 has more precise imaging, so I get more mileage out of its' soundstage. The overall impression is about the same, i.e. intimate and forward, but with good depth and sense of space, the L3000 just paints a more coherent and less hazy picture.

I have fairly small ears and the L3000 are perfect. The drivers don't physically touch any part of my outer ear.

The imaging on the L3000 is one of its strong points.

Yes...the image on the L3000 is definitely one of their best quality as well as their ability to be very forgiving and remain very musical in entry level gear.

Yes...the image on the L3000 is definitely one of their best quality as well as their ability to be very forgiving and remain very musical in entry level gear.

Very forgiving might be subjective.

Right now my Melos is out of commission until I get some new tubes, and that means I can't use my DAC since I don't have a RCA-mini cable. So I tried the L3000 out of my M-Audio Transit USB to MisterX XP amp and there was a big step back in sound quality. So much that I've packed up the L3000 and have stuck to using the HD580/MS-1 out of the portable setup until my tubes get here.

Will do. My last set of 6dj only became microphonic on Monday so 5 days without my L3000 or K1000 wasn't that bad.

The 7dj Teslas should sound very similar to the 6dj from what I've read, and I liked the sound of those Teslas (my initial impression on the Melos in the amp forum was based off those tubes)

Which reminds me you could move that thread to the review section if you wanted:

http://www.head-case.org/index.php/topic,1273.0.html

IMO it was better than my K340 impressions (which were really just impressions applying to very specific music)

Okay, some more L3000 questions.

Sometimes with the W11JPN, the upper midrange/highs can be downright shrill. The best example would be Geddy Lee's vocals. This isn't hot or weird like the W5000, but straight up shrill and a little headache inducing. Does the L3000 do this?

Also, the W11JPN seems to have a great deal of what I've read is called the AT "haze". The W5000 has zero haze. Is there any haze present in the L3000?

Thanks again for all of your time.

Okay, some more L3000 questions.

Sometimes with the W11JPN, the upper midrange/highs can be downright shrill. The best example would be Geddy Lee's vocals. This isn't hot or weird like the W5000, but straight up shrill and a little headache inducing. Does the L3000 do this?

THAT's exactly what I was talking about earlier, about the W11jpn being fatiguing. I think I was listening to Queen I, when that first became apparent to my ears (Freddie Mercury...). The L3000 does not do this, not even a trace; they're a dream to listen to for hours with everything I've thrown at 'em :)

BTW, Rush is one of my favorite bands (got Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, 2112, and Presto on vinyl) and they're freakin' AMAZING on the L3000 :)

Also, the W11JPN seems to have a great deal of what I've read is called the AT "haze". The W5000 has zero haze. Is there any haze present in the L3000?

Thanks again for all of your time.

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite understand what you're referring to here. When I think of haze, I think of a thin layer of grain superimposed over the music - this can be caused by headphones, sources or amps. I didn't get that with the w11jpn; they're very smooth and grain-free in my book, just like the w5000 and L3000. Are you referring to something in the imaging or something with the bass resolution? The L3000 significantly bests the W11jpn in those areas, though I didn't think the w11 was very weak there to start with. One other random quirk about the w11jpn - it seemed to be an excellent match with the ha2002 amp. I didn't think the ha2002 was a great match for the L3000.

Damn you people, I thought I had firmly removed the L3000 from my wishlist. Looks like the possibility of potentially pondering a purchase continues. :) Thank you for your responses.

THAT's exactly what I was talking about earlier, about the W11jpn being fatiguing. I think I was listening to Queen I, when that first became apparent to my ears (Freddie Mercury...). The L3000 does not do this, not even a trace; they're a dream to listen to for hours with everything I've thrown at 'em :)

This is great news!

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite understand what you're referring to here. When I think of haze, I think of a thin layer of grain superimposed over the music - this can be caused by headphones, sources or amps. I didn't get that with the w11jpn; they're very smooth and grain-free in my book, just like the w5000 and L3000. Are you referring to something in the imaging or something with the bass resolution? The L3000 significantly bests the W11jpn in those areas, though I didn't think the w11 was very weak there to start with. One other random quirk about the w11jpn - it seemed to be an excellent match with the ha2002 amp. I didn't think the ha2002 was a great match for the L3000.

No, I definitely don't think the W11JPN has any graininess at all. Perhaps "haze" is too strong a word. What I'm trying to say is that even on well recorded/mastered music, all of the instruments don't seem to have their own space. They all sort of spill over into each other's areas a bit around the edges, which, while not untogether unpleasant, does take away from the great joy of transients, attack/decay, etc. I think I'm just picking at the can's resolution again using different words. :) I'm still a newb in this hobby, but I am fast approaching the one year anniversary of my first headphone amp purchase. ;D

No, I definitely don't think the W11JPN has any graininess at all. Perhaps "haze" is too strong a word. What I'm trying to say is that even on well recorded/mastered music, all of the instruments don't seem to have their own space. They all sort of spill over into each other's areas a bit around the edges, which, while not untogether unpleasant, does take away from the great joy of transients, attack/decay, etc. I think I'm just picking at the can's resolution again using different words. :) I'm still a newb in this hobby, but I am fast approaching the one year anniversary of my first headphone amp purchase. ;D

Sounds like you have an issue with the imaging or perhaps the transients/speed. The L3000 is at least an incremental improvement in imaging, and a more significant improvement in speed. I can see how the W5000 would be considered faster than the W11; the L3000 will not fall behind the W5000 here. I think you'll like them quite a bit 8)

Also, the overall resolution of the L3000 is better than the w11 but not quite at R10/Qualia 010 levels, but then what is - it doesn't impede my enjoyment of their sheer musicality.

I'm still a newb in this hobby, but I am fast approaching the one year anniversary of my first headphone amp purchase. ;D

Sweet! I wish I'd obtained the L3000 within a year of my entrance into this hobby. Took me 2 years to the the plunge with a >$1K headphone. If only I knew than what I know now....many sad purchases could have been avoided, like that $200 Total Airhead :P

Sweet! I wish I'd obtained the L3000 within a year of my entrance into this hobby. Took me 2 years to the the plunge with a >$1K headphone. If only I knew than what I know now....many sad purchases could have been avoided, like that $200 Total Airhead :P

Yeah, I've definitely been through my fair share of gear. My first headphone rig in September 2006 was an Echo Indigo DJ -> Headfive -> K701. :D I've gotten a lot of good advice though. Specifically I was directed here via a phone call from sacd lover/5687, after I expressed mild interest in possibly purchasing a raptor over on HF :). Everybody here was really mean and angry about something but they seemed to know what they were talking about. ;)

I've sold a bunch of pens and sale is pending on my Melos, so after I sell the W11JPN I should have enough cash in the paypal account for an L3000. We'll see... :)

Oh my god 10 days without L3000 I'm back in eargasm land at last.

Rocking out with some Mogwai - My Father, My King (live soundboard recording).

You need some help son, this is becoming a problem...it's time we had an intervention: I demand that you give your L3000s to postjack O0

*types all this while listening to some Miles on the L3000s at work*