Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I'm sorry, HD != memory. HD = Storage, RAM = memory. Pet peeve.

I will be the first to acknowledge that I may not use tech terminology correctly but I think my point was pretty clear. I admit I am a bit of a tech woosie so often times I address terms generically this is a weakness I have and accept. Is it more important to pick nits with my terminology or follow the thread?

Well...he did say it was a pet peeve...and in his defense, it is wrong.

My mom would always say, "could you make me a copy", instead of, "could you make me a printout" or "could you make me a hardcopy". It's kind of wrong like that.

Oh, and :rofl: @ "...follow the thread...". This is head-case, y'know.

Is it more important to pick nits with my terminology or follow the thread?

In this case, the former. Like I said, pet peeve. People who use memory to mean hard drive annoy me to the point of distraction. So since you aren't paying me to listen, I get to point out you're a dumbass. Send me a retainer, and I'll stop picking nits. :)

In this case, the former. Like I said, pet peeve. People who use memory to mean hard drive annoy me to the point of distraction. So since you aren't paying me to listen, I get to point out you're a dumbass. Send me a retainer, and I'll stop picking nits. :)

so, what's this, memory or storage:

ferrite.jpg

It's not a hard drive. It may be non-volatile, but that doesn't make it a hard drive, or even a hard drive platter. The difference isn't just non-volatility, it also matters how much you can store on it.

I mean, we were talking Terabytes when the subject came up for inspection.

1T memory-mapped file, "memory" or "storage"?
It's a file -- I.E. when it's on a disk, it's a file on a disk, and when it's in memory, it's a file in memory. It's a mechanism for accessing more memory than you have by swapping pages to disk.

Next. (I'm a computer scientist by vocation and by education, so I can do these all day.)

EDIT: Done in my own words this time.

It's a file -- I.E. when it's on a disk, it's a file on a disk, and when it's in memory, it's a file in memory. It's a mechanism for accessing more memory than you have by swapping pages to disk.

Next. (I'm a computer scientist by vocation and by education, so I can do these all day.)

EDIT: Done in my own words this time.

SSD, "memory" or "storage"

DVD-RAM, "memory" or "storage"
storage

But I really need to get back to work, so get to your point already.

What is it you're trying to say? That the two are easily confused? You're reaching. The examples you've been citing have been at worst, the fringe, and at best, hybrid technology. But the point was, you meant long term non-volatile storage -- I.E. hard drives -- not memory, when you said memory. Yes, memory is cheap, but so are hard drives. I admire your fancy footsteps, but you're not exactly dancing with the stars.