Post what you're watching

deepak

BBC3 show found at random, "Snog Marry Avoid?"

I switched it on mainly to enjoy being appalled by it (I guess...or something like that) and it was appalling, but less so than I expected. The premise is that fashion-disaster volunteers are offered a "makeunder" during which they're relieved of their false eyelashes, hair extensions, instant-tan products, backless metallic push-up tops and the like, scrubbed and coiffed, and clothed in things generally accepted as respectable while being berated (good-naturedly, they play along) by the makeover technician. Random members of the public are surveyed for their responses to the before and after photos (hence the name of the show). The makeunders seem genuinely surprised at how many people find find their attempts at hawtness make them avoid-at-all-costs scary instead, and how many people think they look terrific when they keep it simple and look like normal humans. Some even keep the new look. In other words the show is cheap crass entertainment in service of good taste. It actually kind of works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...