This is an interesting forum

Elephas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

asshat extraordinaire?

lol, okay i've been away from the computer all night, I had to do this test to guess what you all were talking about. I got it on the first try! ;D

i got a fever, and the only prescription, is more trose!

hey elephas come back, we really are a friendly bunch.

Well you can clue me in, too, but I have a feeling that any clue will just get translated into "asshat extraordinaire", so I don't have my hopes set too high.

t r o s e baby.

hey I think honestly on the whole we are friendly. in the whole friends don't let friends drive drunk or buy ray samuels' amps kind of friendly. like when that guy earwicker showed up, its like he was a dillon and we were jason priestly, and dillon is raving drunk and mad about some girl, and we are all like "dillon, give me your keys man." and then brian austin green tries to have sex with tori spelling, and she is like "nah lets just watch the vma's".

Well....I've been talking to Elephas and he was one of the first adopter of the Apache (he yet to receive the amp though), so we need to pursuade him to get rid of that amp and buy something else that can really give his R10s and L3000 a good amplification.

Elephas, don't get me wrong...but for the price you paid for that amp...you could have purchased a Single Power Supra or Extreme Platinum. Those amps can be configured to drive any headphone out there.

t r o s e baby.

hey I think honestly on the whole we are friendly. in the whole friends don't let friends drive drunk or buy ray samuels' amps kind of friendly. like when that guy earwicker showed up, its like he was a dillon and we were jason priestly, and dillon is raving drunk and mad about some girl, and we are all like "dillon, give me your keys man." and then brian austin green tries to have sex with tori spelling, and she is like "nah lets just watch the vma's".

Can we all get together and murder Brian Austin Green? Why does he get Megan Fox all to himself. Bastard!

Wow, I didn't think this forum had so much activity.

It seems the rules are a bit more relaxed here. Personally, I think that's fine. I'm interested in a variety of viewpoints, including negative ones.

I currently own a number of headphones, but being located in Taiwan means there aren't many amps available. I've heard a number of headphones and sources, also speaker systems, but not many headphone amps. My primary headphones were the AD2000, W5000, K701, HD650 etc. for over two years, until recently when I got an R10 and Stax O2+KGSS. I still like the other dynamics, though.

The great sound of the O2+KGSS and the R10+Raptor has changed my mind about the "value" of high-end headphones and amps. Before, I didn't think going up the price ladder was worth it, due to my experience with the L3000. Yes, it sounds good, but I never thought it was worth the price vs. the W5000, K701, HD650, RS-1. Maybe another amp will improve its sound.

I placed an order for an Apache after the National Meet in late April, intending to go balanced with the L3000 and most of the dynamics. The decision was based on the pre-order discount and my good experience with the Raptor. I'm expecting to receive it soon (2nd batch).

Sooner or later, I think I'm going to have to hear a SinglePower amp for myself. You guys in the US are really lucky to be able to attend the meets.

As for bidding, I lost the almost-new R10 auction on eBay, but I don't intend to lose many more (unless lions or "ConUS only" appear). ;D

yeah. and that friggin nice Accuphase. i came real close to getting a DP-500 from PriceJapan, instead of my Audio Aero. how are you liking it Elephas?

The DP-500 is breaking-in nicely. I think the DP-500 and DAC64 are roughly the same level of sound quality, and both are better than the Lavry DA10. The DP-500 is warm, smooth and very non-fatiguing. Sound seems to appear out of a vacuum, or a black void. This is good, yes, but the Chord also has a black background plus a better sense of air. Vocals such as Patricia Barber, Eva Cassidy sound a bit more realistic, as if the sound is actually passing through some air before reaching your ears. Their breathing is more realistic, and I also think the Chord is a bit more detailed.

Some headphones such as the relatively brighter and thinner-sounding W5000, SA5000 and K701 benefit more from the DP-500's warmth, smoothness and body. The Chord isn't exactly thin and grainy, though. It's also very smooth and refined, much more so than the Lavry DA10.

--

Regarding the W5000 and Raptor or HA5000, I think it sounds good with both amps. I prefer the HA5000 be a large margin, and use the W5000 almost exclusively with it. The W5000+HA5000 has a large soundstage, great air and a better-balanced tonality. Depending on the music and source, it can also be thin-sounding and harsh. If you like a warmer and more full-bodied and bassy sound, the Raptor would be a better choice than the HA5000. I would certainly like to hear a better amp with the W5000.

I found they sounded pretty decent when I pressed the cups against my head hard enough for most of the air to be squished out of the pads. Though this was pretty fatiguing - for my hands & arms, not my ears. So obviously I have no long-term listening impressions for this form of the W5000. I still prefer the L3000 to even the squished-in W5000 sound. Note - I am not a member of the W5000 mafia :laugh:

I've always preferred the W5000 over the L3000. I listened to the L3000+Raptor a few days ago and thought it sounded bad. I couldn't listen for more than 10 minutes and switched to the HD600. Ah, no more closed-in and congested feeling.

maybe.... but I don't want to get in a bidding war with our ivory toothed friend... cause I'm looking at the Supra XLR and waiting...

Seriously, all those headphones would do great on the ZD... and use the pre amp out to an F1- for the K1000= world class sound.

I was thinking about using the Apache as pre-amp with a FirstWatt power amp for the K1000. :-\

--

Sorry about the sequential-posts, there's no multi-quote option, or am I stupid? I have to cut & paste? What kind of forum is this? ???

You can multi quote as soon as you hit reply. Next to each of the messages below the reply box there is an option to "insert quote". ;)

Also, I'd suggest that your preference of the W5000 is probably in large measure due to what you're driving them with and less a reflection on the two headphones.

You can multi quote as soon as you hit reply. Next to each of the messages below the reply box there is an option to "insert quote". ;)

*flabbergasted* This function is cool! And that row of powerful buttons!

For the money you paid for the Apache, you could get SFT Audio, who is in Taiwan, to build you a Beta-22 or dynamight.

Yes, I've thought about SFT Audio before. I thought he was inactive, but his site seems to be updated with the b22.