How slow is SinglePower?

Elephas

So there are 1, maybe 2 confirmed amps out of hundreds if not perhaps over a 1-2k or more amps that we know of have this riveting? I mean even if it was the case for a certain generation of MPXs (A series that isn't even really being produced anymore... right? Maybe it is. I'm not really sure I thought it got replaced by the other lines and the PPX or something), I think it's pretty crazy to draw a conclusion on Singlepower of today based on that especially when the current lines have done away with this issue.

I'm not contesting your other points regarding issues on delivery/wait times...

but your point about upgrades is pretty silly. Maybe his site doesnt have a good list of them, but Moon Audio's list is pretty comprehensive as to what they are. I mean you make it sound like its Mikhail's wrongdoing that most people who order amps from him don't go with stock. So he is persuasive and can get people to buy into the benefits they bring.... but still ultimately the decision to make an upgrade/decide if its worth it is up to the buyer.

the two present the likelihood more are out there and lack of more confirmation doesn't prove anything. i based my commentary on this lock issue on my experience. i didn't realize Mikhail changed the fasteners he uses and currentyly uses.

with respect to the upgrades i had been asked what's my "beef" and that's just one of the four or so issues i don't like. though, each person has a right to their own. it wasn't my intention to make it like Mikhail is doing anything wrong, he has the right to charge whatever especially if he's got people willing to pay. and yes, he is very good at selling the upgrades, which i don't fault him for either, but imho value for ones' dollar is not best served especially getting into the $5K to $20K range for a headphone amp.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think that anyone who spends between $5k and $20k for a headphone amp gives a flying fuck about value for the dollar.

Thats really not the right way to look at it. When i drop $35k for a pair of power amps, or $10k on a flatscreen, those

products had better be absolutely perfect in every single way, and stay problem free for a very long time. It is the reason

why wilson can get away with charging $150k for a pair of speakers.

but that isn't the same thing as value for the dollar.

i think it is another facet of it.

the wealthy people i know spend money like it's going out of style.

if that's the case they run the risk of not being wealthy for very long. most people with money that spend money like that go belly up...

909 & KG,

Show us the pictures of that rivet amp? I would love to see one.

Thanks.

i received that mpx3 over two years ago and returned it within about two months to Mikhail. if i had known it was a rarity or foresaw a day i wanted to post it i would have taken some pics, but didn't because at the time it wasn't really all that important.

i don't think that anyone who spends between $5k and $20k for a headphone amp gives a flying fuck about value for the dollar.
You're wrong about that. You're thinking about spending $5K on an amp, and you definitely give a flying fuck about value for the dollar.

Even so, I don't care how much I spend, I never stop worrying about value for the dollar.

Best post of the thread.

Are you guys really arguing over what wealthy people do with their money as if we

have conducted a scientific poll on the subject? I know wealthy people that spend

foolishly and those that don't.

If someone wants to pay big buck for amps that they perceive for whatever reason

sound good (the ones I've heard do sound good) to justify the cost, who cares.

If they also want to wait long periods of time to get those amps and to have them

repaired (if needed) who cares. If they want to spend a lot of money on upgrades

(whether they are or not, I have no idea) who cares.

You do realize that most people would disagree with you about that, don't you (that a $5K speaker amp is not super exotic high end)? It's just a matter of perspective.

And I will admit that some people who spend that kind of money won't care, but I disagree that all don't. And I also will agree that people with that kind of money who spend it without caring will probably not stay rich.

When we had a new driveway put in, the guy said that the neighborhood he hated the most was the richest, because they're so worried about "value for the dollar", and getting their money's worth. They're rich because they do worry about their money.

Dollar value is relative. I'm working class as far as income goes and worked two full-time jobs last year, which paid for my toys. My main amp, with the upgrades, would run someone about $2200 if ordered new (all my upgrades ended up being freebies, I think due to already mentioned delays...nice for me). That would be the same as someone with double my income getting a 5K amp. Two of my headphones weren't exactly value-minded decisions either. So, who is crazier, assuming neither are irresponsible with money for basics, the rich person who drops bucks for what he or she really likes, or someone like me, who picks up some extra work to do the same. Probably me, but I'm happy, which is more than I can say for a lot of people I know.

• 2 months later...

I personally have never had a problem with Mikhail. He delivered my amp a few weeks late. Tube orders have always been on time. I hear stories, but I often have to consider the source.

Mikhail, like many small mfrs, can't aford to expand very much because his demand is highly variable. His back log is both a curse and a blessing.

In my book Mikhail is still pretty saintly and I am very happy with my amp.

I have had bad experiences with some small builders, but not Mikhail and never with Blue Circle, Quicksilver Audio, Len (6SN7s), Amherst Audio, Jim McShane, Ralph at the Tube Shop on EBay from whom I have bought much of my equipment.

I hear stories, but I often have to consider the source.

Wow, no need to question the honesty of valued members of the headphone community who have had problems with Mikhail. :( I'm glad you had a positive experience, but by "considering the source" you are basically implying that hungrych, mjg, and boomana, for starters, have all lied about their negative experiences with Singlepower. It is a fact that in many cases Mikhail has piss poor customer service, and there is no need to "consider the source" on this.

I personally have never had a problem with Mikhail. He delivered my amp a few weeks late. Tube orders have always been on time. I hear stories, but I often have to consider the source.

Mikhail, like many small mfrs, can't aford to expand very much because his demand is highly variable. His back log is both a curse and a blessing.

In my book Mikhail is still pretty saintly and I am very happy with my amp.

I have had bad experiences with some small builders, but not Mikhail and never with Blue Circle, Quicksilver Audio, Len (6SN7s), Amherst Audio, Jim McShane, Ralph at the Tube Shop on EBay from whom I have bought much of my equipment.

Sorry if I'm going overboard, but are you fucking crazy?. Do you really think that we're making this shit up?

"Mikhail, like many small mfrs, can't aford to expand very much because his demand is highly variable. His back log is both a curse and a blessing." WTF does that even mean?

Wow, no need to question the honesty of valued members of the headphone community who have had problems with Mikhail. :( I'm glad you had a positive experience, but by "considering the source" you are basically implying that hungrych, mjg, and boomana, for starters, have all lied about their negative experiences with Singlepower. It is a fact that in many cases Mikhail has piss poor customer service, and there is no need to "consider the source" on this.

Actually, i was not thinking about you guys at all and when i wrote that i had other people in mind who are not even on headfi or here. Yes, i am sure there are people with perfectly legit complaints, but i do not know any of you.

Sorry. reall I am.

Sorry if I'm going overboard, but are you fucking crazy?. Do you really think that we're making this shit up?

"Mikhail, like many small mfrs, can't aford to expand very much because his demand is highly variable. His back log is both a curse and a blessing." WTF does that even mean?

The curse you understand: it is you angry people. The blessing: he has work and maybe even some of your money.

I shouldn't assume too much. Sorry.

I think everyone has a right to demand good service and take appropriate action if they don't get it. Often, people get angry at you if you do complain and others if you don't.

But it is always good to leave your feedback so there is an internet trail that goes back to the mfr. good or bad. That's what others look for.

I agree -- it should be the choice of the consumer whether or not they want to put with that. Personally, I am of the camp that they are worth it, but I also understand for example, Marc's frustration, since he's having other issues in addition to the wait time. I also agree that Mikhail can do a better job of estimating delivery times and following up, and should try to improve in that area -- and that doesn't mean build them faster (although that'd be nice, too), it means estimating less optimistically. I know from the marketer's perspective, that one might worry about losing business if the estimates are too long, but look at what's happened due to disappointment -- lost business. There are phone calls he'll probably never get because of some of the discussion here.