Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

Yeah, that's why I was disappointed.

I bought this HP-2 from another member here. It is pristine-looking, with 100% lettering intact, so I don't think I can recable it.

Mamma, mamma, I wanna new amp!

Yeah, thats my old HP-2, which I bought from insomniac, and then sold to Laine. It is a beautiful HP-2. :)

Mamma, mamma, I wanna new amp!

I'm bringing them to local shops soon to try with their demo amps, such as Grado RA-1, X-Can, Corda Opera, Sugden Headmaster, CEC HD53R, etc.

Stay away from those X-Cans, and ignore those posts that talk about how good they are with Senns or anything for that matter. In one of the very few mini-meets at jp11801's where we actually seriously listened to gear as opposed to everything else, we had the X-Can 2 and 3, Pink Floyd modded and unmodded, two Heed Canamps, a Darkvoice 336, and a EC/SS. It was the battle of the entry-level amps at that time. They were simply trounced in all areas by the Heed and EC, and in some by the DV. My Heed had just arrived that day and I opened the box at the meet. Miguel's X-cans had his special 900-hrs of burn-in on them, and still it wasn't even close.

I wouldn't even recommend any of those amps for the HP-2, unless as a bedroom rig, where my Canamp excels.

Yeah, that's why I was disappointed.

I bought this HP-2 from another member here. It is pristine-looking, with 100% lettering intact, so I don't think I can recable it.

Sure you can!

DSCN1021.jpg

HD650, HD580 (I might very well be deaf but the 2 sound virtually identical - also don't Sennheiser use the same driver and 'capsule' parts for both?)

In a word, no. The 580 shares the driver with the 600, not the 650. And if they sound virtually identical to you I don't know what to say, they certainly don't to me.

In a word, no. The 580 shares the driver with the 600, not the 650. And if they sound virtually identical to you I don't know what to say, they certainly don't to me.

I'll have to agree and disagree on the grounds that some of the 650's I've heard sound drastically different from each other. I don't know if it's break in effects or sample variations, but I've heard a 650 which sounded remarkably similar to a 600 and a 650 which sounded nothing like a 600, both of them out of the same gear. Up until I heard the latter pair, I had no idea what people were talking about when they said the 650 had fat boomy bass.

Damn, I was just about to edit out that potentially provocative - and as turns out factually incorrect - statement (although one would need to destructively disassemble the drivers to know just what the exact differences are)!

I agree there is measurable if inconsequential difference in frequency response but if you were to compensate for that electronically - good luck telling them apart. This is likely true for other headphones as well, but the identical design make an actual test feasible in this situation.

Let's not have a debate on the importance of objective testing in this thread ;)

No, I've owned a lot of different sets of cans. I just sold my 650's this past weekend. They were a little too warm for my liking. I'm going to go back to the 600's.

Rank them all! :dance:

Awesome. Yeah, the HD600 is more neutral than the darker sounding HD650. I might have liked the HD600 over the HD650 if I had a good amp with them.

I mainly listen with 580s. There is a difference for me, a very noticeable one at that. The 600 sounds a bit grainier, while the 650 more closely resembles the 580. I do not notice more bass presence because there is slightly more detail in the 650s which probably go well with the supposedly increased bass. The 600's are a bit more gritty but sound like the 580's in the bass department. The 600 thus sounds a bit more highs tipped because it gains a bit of treble without more bass..