Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

Okay what is the secret with marshmallows.. Are my ears that fucked up, or is there some kind of packaging material inside them you are supposed to remove (joking). Seriously, I just don't get them. I understand we all have different opinions on what sounds good, but damn, those phones just flat fucking suck. Maybe the ones I bought were just bad. But as they say, to each his own.

Okay what is the secret with marshmallows.. Are my ears that fucked up, or is there some kind of packaging material inside them you are supposed to remove (joking). Seriously, I just don't get them. I understand we all have different opinions on what sounds good, but damn, those phones just flat fucking suck. Maybe the ones I bought were just bad. But as they say, to each his own.

Who said they were good?

If you have not noticed, this place is 'hype'-free.

Oh no no, to me, the Marshmallows are actually quite bad imho. :)

Just noticing how high they were rated in some of the posts in this thread. Now I do finally get ksc75's. Bought an amp on HF and the guy threw in a pair for free. Had never heard them before today. No hype intended, but for a 25.00 headphone, wow.

Although, they sound like POOP when they're fresh out the box. I'm not too big a believer in burn-in, but these did change quite substantially in 1000 hours. Cleaner, tighter, and not as boomy. I just left them plugged in for a month, and every other day listened, and at each time, the changed were subtle, but I'll never forget how it sounded out of the box....blech.

I actually have a fairly significantly modded Kramer'd KSC75, the only thing missing is a recable, as it has a screen, the thicker foam, blue tack, etc. Although it sound really airy by comparison, it sound a little shrill on some songs, and doesn't have the bass that the Mallows do...in any respect.

But meh...to each thier own.

Oh no no, to me, the Marshmallows are actually quite bad imho. :)

Yeah, but they're perfect for the gym, when all you want to do is block out some of the horrible music blasting in and hear a little of your own. Plus, I've lost two pair already. They're also perfect for that.

By overall sound quality, and ignoring practicality and amp finickiness issues. "Equality" levels obviously subjective, and despite very different sounds.

SR404 > K701 / SA5000 > Frankensenn > K81DJ > KSC75

Throwing in past owned items:

SR404 > K701 / SA5000 > SR 225 (c-pad) / HD595 > Frankensenn > SR 80 > A700 > K81DJ > HD280 > KSC50 / KSC75

I agree, that for something that puts out music and doesn't matter if they get trashed, they are well suited for that. But there were God only knows how many posts on HF praising the marshmellows to the highest. That is what I can't get. I ended up using them to listen a scanner at the races, but as far as music goes, forget it. Will have through a disclaimer that I honestly have not used any in-ear phone that I liked, but I have never used any that was any where near close to "quality".

There were also raves for the vmoda vibes. Every one is looking for a giant killer. As long as there are new inexpensive iems coming out, there's going to be 1) a rush to be the first to get them and tell everyone else 2) more people who want to try them out and post good things to feel good about buying them 3) bandwagon effect 3) reality setting in that Etys are the only way to go >:D

Although, they sound like POOP when they're fresh out the box. I'm not too big a believer in burn-in, but these did change quite substantially in 1000 hours. Cleaner, tighter, and not as boomy. I just left them plugged in for a month, and every other day listened, and at each time, the changed were subtle, but I'll never forget how it sounded out of the box....blech.

I did basically the same thing, except they continued to sound like crap, so I sold them and got some ksc-35's. Now that is a good headphone.

Biggie.

I did basically the same thing, except they continued to sound like crap, so I sold them and got some ksc-35's. Now that is a good headphone.

Biggie.

Different strokes I guess. I have KSC35's and 75's, and although a BIG step up from buds, they still didn't have enough coloration, errr, punch for for my tastes. ;) Really great neutral cans though, just not my flavor..