Audio goodies for the holidays?

boomana

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

grats on the baby stax!

no audio goodies for me this Christmas, I pretty much make it clear to my loved ones that I do all my audio/music/fountain pen shopping on my own. Else I'll end up with Bose and Montblancs. :-X;)

I did get a Virtuoso coffee grinder though. Unfortunately the only beans I had on hand yesterday were flavored, and I am not doing flavored beans in this thing. Need to run by the coffeeshop today and get some fresh roast Mexican Organic.

Oooooh fun, how do you like it?

I haven't listened to them yet. :( It's a bit of a dilemma as they were present from a guy I just broke up with, though we agreed to go ahead with exchanging gifts as we'd already bought them, but we didn't open them with each other. I didn't get him anything near as nice (though it was something he wanted), and I want to at least give him the option of having them back unused. He's in Puerto Rico for a few days, so I'm going to wait, though knowing what a genuinely good guy he is, he'll want me to have them as I want him to keep his present. I just don't want to take advantage of his kindness. I have to admit, though, I'm pretty excited to try them out, and if he does want them back, which I doubt, I'll buy my own from my x-mas bonus money. I'll let you all know in a few days.

bhjazz, I absolutely love that Coltrane/Hartman cd. Lush Life and You Are Too Beautiful are drop dead gorgeous....come to think of it, the whole album is gorgeous. I need to listen to it now.

Salty, your rack definitely counts as a really nice present to yourself. I guess my Pico counts as my present to myself. Hope to have it next week.

We don't normally celebrate the holidays, but I was surprised to get a very nice gift from my parents- a Littmann Master Cardiology stethoscope. Quite a nice surprise since I was planning on getting one soon.

And I had a few other nice things waiting for me that I sent to their house which I wasn't able to get after Thanksgiving. A Grado SR-325 that I plan on modding, Beethoven 60 CD Masterworks boxset (ordered a hell of a long time ago from amazon, never expected to see it), new The Who - Who's Next (MCA Hoffman mastering) CD. And the CDs from the Headfi holiday gift exchange that I promised my exchange buddy I wouldn't open until I've sent out his CDs (still tweaking one of the things that I'm sending him :) ).

edit: and not that this has anything to with the holidays, but I've been considering seriously over hauling my vinyl system, since I'm really loving the sweet sound I'm getting :prettyprincess:

nice :) are you going to damp the back of the drivers, RS-1 style?

I didn't know the RS-1 drivers were dampened, or how to do it. I'll have to look for some high res pics.

I'm just getting a feel for the stock SR-325 for the time being. With bowls = :(

But with flats these are actually damn good.

Nerd! ;D

So true :P

But it's awesome how sensitive it is...

the RS-1s have some kind of gluey tar stuff on the back of the drivers, AFAIK.

Yeah I don't think I'll attempt that :D

I guess I can't say anything, I'll probably be fishing for one of those in a few years too...

Probably overkill for undergrad use (even the basic Littmann stethoscopes are great, and the worse the stethoscope the more effort you have to put in training your ear to the different lung/heart sounds), but useful for post-grad cards.

Probably overkill for undergrad use (even the basic Littmann stethoscopes are great, and the worse the stethoscope the more effort you have to put in training your ear to the different lung/heart sounds), but useful for post-grad cards.

yeah...plus i'm really leaning towards orthopedic surgery now. or maybe interventional radiology...

yeah...plus i'm really leaning towards orthopedic surgery now. or maybe interventional radiology...

Damn dude big money all the way eh :P

isn't it easier to just stick a long piece of wire into the persons heart and watch the wire move back and forth? that's what i do with my "patients." then they usually go in the basement.

:o

Lots of new music (all vinyl) :prettyprincess: I love new vinyl!!!!!!!!!

Traveling Wilburys

The best of Diana Krall

Best of Black Sabboth

Cowboy Junkies "Whites off Earth now"

Patricia Barber " Verse"

Alison Krauss& Union Station "Live"

Clifford Brown & Max Roach "A study in Brown"

Joni Mitchell "Blue"

ZZ Top "Tres Hombres"

Ray Charles "genius Loves Company"

Robert Plant & A. Krauss "Raising Sand"

Jacintha "Jacintha goes to Hollywood"

Eric Clapton "Unplugged"

My wife Also Got another pr. of cables for me. AQ 1M XLR Niagras.

Lots of new music (all vinyl) :prettyprincess: I love new vinyl!!!!!!!!!

Traveling Wilburys

The best of Diana Krall

Best of Black Sabboth

Cowboy Junkies "Whites off Earth now"

Patricia Barber " Verse"

Alison Krauss& Union Station "Live"

Clifford Brown & Max Roach "A study in Brown"

Joni Mitchell "Blue"

ZZ Top "Tres Hombres"

Ray Charles "genius Loves Company"

Robert Plant & A. Krauss "Raising Sand"

Jacintha "Jacintha goes to Hollywood"

Eric Clapton "Unplugged"

My wife Also Got another pr. of cables for me. AQ 1M XLR Niagras.

Thought you have enough cable :D. Nice stuff Tom.