Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

This is probably a stupid question, but how come sound still comes out of my external speakers (which are connected via the breakout cable) when I plug in headphones? Do I need to disconnect the breakout cable (or shut off my powered speakers) whenever I want to use headphones? Please don't make too much fun of me..

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting a Duet to replace my E-MU 0404 USB. Is it a worthy upgrade, considering I only use the device as a DAC to feed a Stax amp?

I'm not interested in spending big bucks on a digital source for the moment because I plan to get myself a vinyl rig in the summer, so the Duet seems like a good compromise. Anyway, I'm curious to read your opinions about this.

I'm thinking of getting a Duet to replace my E-MU 0404 USB. Is it a worthy upgrade, considering I only use the device as a DAC to feed a Stax amp?

I'm not interested in spending big bucks on a digital source for the moment because I plan to get myself a vinyl rig in the summer, so the Duet seems like a good compromise. Anyway, I'm curious to read your opinions about this.

If you own a mac, the duet is the easiest decision ever. If you don't own a mac, it's worth buying the mac mini AND the duet. That's how much I like the duet.

I cant comment the the Duet, but people who've heard it next to the Headamp Pico feel that it is similar quality to the Pico. I can tell the Pico is far, far cleaner sounding than the Emu. I've had both. So I can't imagine it not being a great upgrade, particularly economically, since its only a few hundred bucks.

If you own a mac, the duet is the easiest decision ever. If you don't own a mac, it's worth buying the mac mini AND the duet. That's how much I like the duet.

I have a MacBook, that's why I'm interested in the Duet. I've found a place in Montreal that sells it for 501.18CAD, it seems like a fair price and there's 7-day return period with full refund, so I'll probably go with that.

I cant comment the the Duet, but people who've heard it next to the Headamp Pico feel that it is similar quality to the Pico. I can tell the Pico is far, far cleaner sounding than the Emu. I've had both. So I can't imagine it not being a great upgrade, particularly economically, since its only a few hundred bucks.

That's good to hear. I was very interested in the Duet when it came out, but I wanted to wait a little while to see if the opinions would change with time.

The problem with DIY Duet cables is that Apogee seems to be using a non-standard receptacle that isn't playing nicely w/ the VGA connectors that I've been able to source. Their receptacle is so shallow that normal male plugs can't seat fully and the retention screws can't reach the embedded fasteners. So it's a somewhat tenuous connection, seems ok for really static setups but if anything gets moved around the connection gets lost far too easily for me to be happy. If I can get through the rest of my fire sale on Head-Fi I might pick one up to do some research with. So far Apogee support has been ignoring me and I don't have much recourse with them since I don't actually own one of their products. :)

The problem with DIY Duet cables is that Apogee seems to be using a non-standard receptacle that isn't playing nicely w/ the VGA connectors that I've been able to source. Their receptacle is so shallow that normal male plugs can't seat fully and the retention screws can't reach the embedded fasteners. So it's a somewhat tenuous connection, seems ok for really static setups but if anything gets moved around the connection gets lost far too easily for me to be happy. If I can get through the rest of my fire sale on Head-Fi I might pick one up to do some research with. So far Apogee support has been ignoring me and I don't have much recourse with them since I don't actually own one of their products. :)

Interesting read, if you ever find a way to make a more stable connection let us know.

I bought the Duet sooner today and I've been listening to it for about 10 minutes. First impression is good, the bass is a lot tighter than the 0404 USB and the overall sound has more clarity and sparkle.

One thing that I don't like though is the fugly breakout cable. It takes almost as much place on my desk than the Duet itself. I'll probably try making my own cable soon enough.

Any tips about how to set it up correctly? I've put the line-out at 0db, is there anyway to lock it there?

I bought the Duet sooner today and I've been listening to it for about 10 minutes. First impression is good, the bass is a lot tighter than the 0404 USB and the overall sound has more clarity and sparkle.

One thing that I don't like though is the fugly breakout cable. It takes almost as much place on my desk than the Duet itself. I'll probably try making my own cable soon enough.

Any tips about how to set it up correctly? I've put the line-out at 0db, is there anyway to lock it there?

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

Yup, it's pretty sweet. I didn't have a lot of time to listen to it while I was at home, but I plan to do some extended listening when I get back from work tonight.

I'm getting closer to my "final" setup. My objective is to keep everything under 3500$, which leaves some space for a KGSS or a potential vinyl rig. :D

Yeah BLOODY yeah!!! I ordered the Duet today!!!! It's an early birthday gift (1st of August) from my bf, we split the cost. Have to wait for 2 weeks aprox. but wow that's really awesome! Looking forward to this device after all the nothing but good things I've read about them!

The price is also a bargain; there just has been a pricedrop so instead of