Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

Are there any known DIY modifications that can enable the Apogee Duet to become compatible with Microsoft Windows?

Actually, I did just come up with a DIY method for getting the Duet to work with Windows, since I am DIY master.

1. Buy Duet

2. Sell Duet

3. Buy Pico

4. ...

5. Profit

Guest DevilMayCry

Actually, I did just come up with a DIY method for getting the Duet to work with Windows, since I am DIY master.

1. Buy Duet

2. Sell Duet

3. Buy Pico

4. ...

5. Profit

:laugh: I started at step three.

1. Buy Duet

2. Sell Duet

3. Buy Pico

4. ...

5. Profit

Yeah, thanks a fucking bunch posty.

I just read that and burst into laughter and everyone looked at me like I was a nutbat. ;D

I like your thinking though.

A very reasonable way to use the Duet with Windows would be to use a "Macintosh" simulator and run it in there. Google showed several possibilities. I have no idea how good or complete the simulations are. If you can find a good one, it would do the trick.

It'd have to include core audio, which seems unlikely :)

• 4 weeks later...

that core solo should be plenty fast for music (and, frankly, most things, as it's way faster than the G4 systems i was stuck using for years), that's what i would suggest people get.

I have the last ppc mini Mac (1,5 Ghz G5 irc) it's more than fast enough to "normal" mediacenter duties (music, ripped dvds @ ~2Mb/s etc). I guess the solo should be at least as fast.

But unless I was on a budget, I would go for a dual core as two hanging process are better than one :)

Primarily using this as a DAC + headphone amp is disappointing? How about relative to the E-MU 0404 USB functioning in the same capacity?

the duet should be better than the e-mu 0404. the headphone out of the 0404 usb definitely bottlenecks the performance of the unit. grawk has stated the headphone out of the duet is better than the one out the mini-dac, which IMO, is much better than the one out of the 0404.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to go off topic, but are there any alternatives to the supplied breakout cable for RCA? I saw someone made one with RCA and cable already attached, but I'd like to use my own cable with as little or no other cable in the signal path.

Get the pinout from Apogee (or from HF, I believe it's been posted there somewhere).