Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

I wonder if it's future mini-usb to be fully compatible with the new Macbook line? I suppose that's the logical assumption but odd that they would modify every chassis for it before it's ready for prime time. And even more suspicious that it doesn't have a label to go along with it. Only time will tell what they've got cooking.

• 1 month later...
I can vouch the W1000 sounds quite nice from the headphone out. And very very nice with 007t/Sigs. ;)

BTW, anyone ever try the Duet case? Room for breakout cable and all?

Never thought I'd say this, but may sell the Pico to finance this Duet purchase.

Was going to buy it but when I got to the fucking shop the door was locked with a sign saying "By Appointment Only". Went over to Guitar Center to get the Apogee instead. No case though.

Anyone have their Duets soar up the fan spins? Don't know if this is a MacBook (not Pro) specific issue. I'm finding a few references on the web and at least those are MacBook related. My MacBooks fans slowly soars to 6200 whenever the Duet is plugged in. You just want the rates climb. Even with no activity it hovers at this rate. Kinda a buzz kill as although I love the Duets sound, going from a relatively silence setup (with other sources) to this much computer noise is noticeable. Have completely uninstalled the Duet drivers with no change.

Maybe JP. If it's localized to just the non-Pro MacBook (which I don't know if is the case) then it could be something with the MB power structure. I just started monitoring the speeds as it's audibly so noticeable. Basically silent with Pico and Parasounds to full blast with Duet. Seems to hover at 6200 rpm from a normal operating sub-1500. smcFanControl temp also shoots up 20+ degrees too. And this is with or without a Thermaltake passive cooling pad.

Some discussion at Apple Support here. Seems to either be a power or Firewire driver issue. Or Leopard. Or Apple and Apogee blaming each other. Not looking hopeful.

Hmmm. This may make the Duet unusable at least with MacBooks (if used for computing while near audio equipment). Hell it may even be dangerous (at very least to life of fans). Will report back after Christmas (as won't get much time to test before). I know most here use Mac minis with the Duet, though I expect most users elsewhere are on MacBook Pros. Seems like there would be a louder cry if more affected (as there was earlier this year when last update was produced). May only be a MacBook issue. Damn, I so like the sound. ;)

Not to make too much out of this, but I wonder if this hints to why the Firewire was removed from the current gen MacBook? Maybe the power architecture isn't setup to handle some Firewire scenarios. Certainly the PS are different between the two MacBook models.

I connected Duet to MacBook and let it play music through iTunes for about 1.5 hours. FYI, MacBook was plugged into an outlet.

For the most part, my fan speed hovered around 4500 rpm while Duet was connected, occasionally going as high as 5200 rpm and low as 4000 rpm. For a point of reference, the fan speed is usually around 1800-2200 rpm. The temp also went up about ~15 degrees as well. The fan noise was clearly audible and distracting, especially during quiet passages on music.

I've connected the Duet back to iMac and I've let it play some music for about 40 minute now with no real changes in any of the fan speeds.