Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

question for GRAWK:

when you say "But the headphone out is 1000000% better", which one are you referring to?

I'm comparing the headphone out on the minidac to the one on the duet. The duet is world's better. I didn't like the headphone out on the minidac. Note however, that I'm talking about using my ears, and my grados.

Ok, I'm listening to the pico with my new to me HD600s with stock cable. It works very well, and I'd say it's a good option. I'm not the most critical of listeners, but listening to dire straits, it's got good imaging and depth, the dynamics and PRaT seem appropriate, and the sound is clear and forceful. I remain impressed by this amazing little device.

So I'll stand by what I said earlier, that I'd recommend the duet for fixed location or transportable use with a mac if you have use for full sized line outs or will use the line ins. Using the built in headphone amps, my preference is slightly towards the pico. I haven't done any level matching at this point, although I will later. I'll also feed the m3 with both and do a comparison. But really, you can't go wrong with either, so the obvious choice is high end IN and OUT vs OMG SMALL. Both sound great.

The dacs are very comparable. I couldn't say I have a favorite. I'll spend tomorrow doing a more direct comparison, but doing that will be a huge pain in the ass. :)

I didn't do an extensive volume matched comparision between the two before shipping the Duet to you but my initial impression was that they were comparable. Once it returns (no rush) I will give it a shot. I'm still in my vinyl honeymoon stage so no digital being played for the last 1 1/2 weeks.

I have been listening to the pico as source with the m3 and hd600s/hhf1s all morning. I can't hear any flaws in the presentation. I could easily live with this as my only source from a sound quality perspective. I will say that I absolutely can't stand minijacks for this application tho. But since I only had to deal with that for about 2 minutes while getting everything set up, that's probably ok.

Justin's got a real winner here.

I have been listening to the pico as source with the m3 and hd600s/hhf1s all morning. I can't hear any flaws in the presentation. I could easily live with this as my only source from a sound quality perspective. I will say that I absolutely can't stand minijacks for this application tho. But since I only had to deal with that for about 2 minutes while getting everything set up, that's probably ok.

Justin's got a real winner here.

Do you just set it to high gain and max volume and then connect it to your amp?