Pico Gain

Apielet

So, would it be possible to have the gain lowered on a Pico so those with IEM's can enjoy more of the amps sonic characteristics? I would also like to have more volume control for IEM's. What I have gathered from home amplifiers (ex. Macintosh) is that the less gain and more volume or (the other way around) really has a dif effect on sound. Is it possible to change this or is the gain set in stone? I really think you can get a better taste of the sound of a headphone amp When the gain is set propperly for your headphones. Witha portable like Pico, I think users will usually use the same headphone.

Way back 7-8 years ago, the META42 and penguin builders always asked what HP you would be using for this reason.

So, would it be possible to have the gain lowered on a Pico so those with IEM's can enjoy more of the amps sonic characteristics? I would also like to have more volume control for IEM's. What I have gathered from home amplifiers (ex. Macintosh) is that the less gain and more volume or (the other way around) really has a dif effect on sound. Is it possible to change this or is the gain set in stone? I really think you can get a better taste of the sound of a headphone amp When the gain is set propperly for your headphones. Witha portable like Pico, I think users will usually use the same headphone.

Way back 7-8 years ago, the META42 and penguin builders always asked what HP you would be using for this reason.

sounds pretty impossible to me...

The kludgey solution would be to simply put an impedance adapter on the output (like the Ety ER4s cable) which would effectively lower the gain.

I honestly don't know what the low-gain is on the Pico but it's probably more of an issue with its DAC having a proper 2V output which is more than double something like an Ipod.

I have a portable amp set to unity gain (not a Pico) and I only get to 9:00 (starting at 7:00) for most things with my E500. IEMs are more sensative than full sized cans and you're not going to get that far along the pot swipe with any portable amp without an impedance adapter.

I have a portable amp set to unity gain (not a Pico) and I only get to 9:00 (starting at 7:00) for most things with my E500. IEMs are more sensative than full sized cans and you're not going to get that far along the pot swipe with any portable amp without an impedance adapter.

It's also worth noting that the output level of any amp will be directly proportional to the input signal strength. So if you're using 1V source or a 4V source it absolutely makes a difference.

It's also worth noting that the output level of any amp will be directly proportional to the input signal strength. So if you're using 1V source or a 4V source it absolutely makes a difference.

Yeah that's true.... with an iPod you'll get more headroom than say a dedicated CD player or a DAC like the one in the Pico.