Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

How much did it kill the battery? I used to use Proximity (reduxcomputing-proximity - Project Hosting on Google Code) but found that it killed my 2G's battery more than I liked (i.e. 10% at the end of the day compared to 50% without Proximity)

I'm not sure. I'm a pretty heavy iPhone user at work so I have a charger on my desk... I use the iPhone for Omnifocus, news, music, video at lunch....etc. This did add to the battery drain, but it's hard for me to say how much. There is a slider in the application that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the app. So you have have it look for the iPhone less often thus diminishing the impact on iPhone battery life.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if that really is for the now-claimed reason that NYC had too many fraudulent purchases, it's a truly gigantic PR gaffe. I anticipate hurried backpedaling.

(Though not hurried enough, apparently, to prevent the amazingly lame "we periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels" follow-up gaffe. Wow, impressive gaffespersonship.)

Fake Steve has one post up about this so far, and I doubt he'll let it go at that. Blunders like this are too much fun for just one day of satire.

works great as a phone for me. i can hear the other person, and the other person can hear me.

Not for me, call volumes are too low to be heard just about everywhere except near silent conditions. Honestly, it's a struggle to use it in the car and the speakerphone section is even worse. And yes, I've tried it without the case on it to see if that is hurting the volume and that doesn't help.

Coverage around me blowing chunks is certainly a contributing factor as well.

The iPhone is audible for me but I have a spare Samsung* that gives great call volume and intelligibility, so I can readily understand how people feel the lack of that when they move to an iPhone. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you, but since its additional features sound like they're not that compelling for you, I guess it's not a great loss.

*SGH-J700 - fairly recent, fairly cheap, fairly compact - deadly flaw is that the method to favorite numbers for one-touch dialing is utterly mysterious.