Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Nate, do you have the 3G or the 3GS? I've got the 3GS and I've heard that call volume and so forth are improved with the new model. Of course lots of people have trouble with AT&T reception. We're lucky, here in NC AT&T is fairly robust. I've never had a dropped call or poor reception. I'm not much of a phone person though... my wife and I text and email more than anything else.

Just the plain 3G here and I've also read reports that the GS is much better in terms of call volume. But I have no desire to be beholden to AT&T for two years since I'm not under contract right now so a new iPhone is not something I'm considering.

P.s. I also hate the fact that Apple pulled a switcheroo and now you can only manage your music on one computer even if the iTunes account is the same on multiple machines. That makes it just about impossible for me to do what I want to do with the iPhone as a music player which kills about 50% of its functionality.

Not for me, call volumes are too low to be heard just about everywhere except near silent conditions. Honestly, it's a struggle to use it in the car and the speakerphone section is even worse. And yes, I've tried it without the case on it to see if that is hurting the volume and that doesn't help.

Coverage around me blowing chunks is certainly a contributing factor as well.

my original, non-3G iPhone had these issues. I could never hear my calls well, except to my mom who talks loud. I constantly had to ask people to repeat themselves. furthermore, my ringer was never loud enough. if I wasn't in the same room with it, I couldn't hear it.

all these problems are fixed with my new 3GS. I have to turn the volume down on calls now, and the ringer is very loud.

but my original iPhone was the worst phone I ever owned. if it wasn't such an amazing portable web browser I wouldve ditched it a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Neat app for scrobbling songs to Last.FM: ShareTunes

It's pretty spartan, you enter your Last.FM account details and then select songs from the iPod app as you would an On-the-go-playlist. It doesn't save the playlist between launchings, which is a bit annoying.... it won't scrobble songs unless you're in the app. So there are some caveats. But it was the cheapest scrobble app I could find. Simplify Music 2 will also scrobble songs.

word of experience...

if you used the tethering hack that was available over the summer and then updated your iphone to 3.0 or later then remove the profile you downloaded from your phone!

i removed it last week and found out visual voicemail and lots of texts didnt go to the phone since September!! i received 42 voicemails dating back from sept after i removed the profile that made tethering possible before 3.0 .

and this is why i dont fukc with hacks..

you can complain about the service or our legit options all you want but finding out i will be paying $30 less a month is bad ass! thats almost 25% off my bill.

word of experience...

if you used the tethering hack that was available over the summer and then updated your iphone to 3.0 or later then remove the profile you downloaded from your phone!

i removed it last week and found out visual voicemail and lots of texts didnt go to the phone since September!! i received 42 voicemails dating back from sept after i removed the profile that made tethering possible before 3.0 .

and this is why i dont fukc with hacks..

you can complain about the service or our legit options all you want but finding out i will be paying $30 less a month is bad ass! thats almost 25% off my bill.

I have a non-jailbroken 3GS with 3.01 on it, with all the hacks working for tethering and MMS working, and my visual voicemail and texts and SMS all work fine, as does tethering.

I was playing with Lala and it can take quite some time to get your library up there. I don't remember how long it took ultimately, but it was a multi-day process. It's still not done yet, about 2,000+ songs left, but I haven't had a chance to finish it.

Backgrounder is the other reason, besides tethering, that keeps my phone jailbroken. It's great to be able to listen to the sirius app, get a call and be able to go right back to listening without signing in again. If multitasking and tethering is announced, I can go legit again.

• 2 weeks later...