Krell SACD Standard / Marantz SA-11S1

the vrds-neo transport is rock solid, but they are expensive as fuck. only recently did they start selling them to oem's i'm not sure what the pricing is now but it was originally $3k a piece (in lots of 50). it's about as overbuilt as you can get, if i recall correctly it weighs something along the lines of 23 lbs by itself. it does come with a lifetime warranty though.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally don't care for the SCD-1 that much, but i don't like the Sony sound that much, so it makes perfect sense :)

The SCD-1's strenght is in SACD playback, the redbook is only very good at most. However, after clock, caps, and op-amps upgrade, they do sound excellent in redbook too.

the vrds-neo transport is rock solid, but they are expensive as fuck. only recently did they start selling them to oem's i'm not sure what the pricing is now but it was originally $3k a piece (in lots of 50). it's about as overbuilt as you can get, if i recall correctly it weighs something along the lines of 23 lbs by itself. it does come with a lifetime warranty though.

Probably not going to see those in $50 DVD players, ya think :rofl:

$3K each in 50pc lots? FuckingOUCH

lots of transport problems, of late. the Cary 306SACD had issues at first, too.

Yeah, and the msrp of the Cary went up $2500 after they fixed the transport issues. Seems to be a pattern amongst sacdp manufacturers.

The Cary uses the SCD-1 transport, as I'm sure you all know.

Yeah, and the msrp of the Cary went up $2500 after they fixed the transport issues. Seems to be a pattern amongst sacdp manufacturers.

The Cary uses the SCD-1 transport, as I'm sure you all know.

That's why it make sense to stock some parts for the your units. In my case, Sony usually stop mfg. parts after 10 years. The SCD-1/777ES laser is available for $145, gear for another $130. Wonder if the Cary 306 SACD use the same KSS laser as the SCD-1 or not.

That's why it make sense to stock some parts for the your units. In my case, Sony usually stop mfg. parts after 10 years. The SCD-1/777ES laser is available for $145, gear for another $130. Wonder if the Cary 306 SACD use the same KSS laser as the SCD-1 or not.

the Sony can be repaired for a flat rate of $254, which I think includes return shipping, but there are many stories of getting it back without the problem being resolved or physical damage

the Sony can be repaired for a flat rate of $254, which I think includes return shipping, but there are many stories of getting it back without the problem being resolved or physical damage

Yes, it is cheaper to repair with Sony, but I don't know if they will take my Modwright Sony SCD-777ES w/ tube output stage in if I need a laser replacement. Plus having to ship external PSU to go along with it and having them throw it away might not be a good idea. I luck out of having a local master technician who can repair highend gears who live just 10 mins away. No more shipping gears to upgrade and repairs! :dance:

i'm leaning heavily toward the krell. if its good enough for KG and justin, it's good enough for me. there are plenty for sale on agon, but i'd really prefer to get one in black. I'm watching agon pretty closely, but if anyone sees one come up in black give PJ a heads up. ;)

i'm leaning heavily toward the krell. if its good enough for KG and justin, it's good enough for me. there are plenty for sale on agon, but i'd really prefer to get one in black. I'm watching agon pretty closely, but if anyone sees one come up in black give PJ a heads up. ;)

Order one of these in black and let us know how it works out

evolution-525.gif

was going to meet the guy halfway (47 miles) to pick up the Krell SACD Standard, but he called me and said he dropped it when packing it up. Ok...the search continues :kitty:

Sad for both of you if true, but I suspect he got a better offer. I drop a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure I'd be extra careful if I'd just made a sale and was packing it up. Sorry, Justin. That stinks.

Sad for both of you if true, but I suspect he got a better offer. I drop a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure I'd be extra careful if I'd just made a sale and was packing it up. Sorry, Justin. That stinks.

Possibly..but he did offer me another one he has in silver..and says he'll get 2 more black ones next month. Some kind of connection to get dealer demos is what he says

That sounds a little different then. Are you going to wait for the black one?

Probably, although the silver one looks in good condition. I'd have to wait to see the condition of the black ones and date of manufacture. If they're really dealer demos then they're being cleared out since the 3rd edition (new transport again) is out

See if sony did not have their head stuck so far up their ass they would put

encrypted outputs on their $300 sacd/dvd players, then you buy a kickass

dac from someone who knows what they are doing (like krell). Then when the

drive dies, you throw it in the garbage and get another one. I happen to have

2 of these $300 pieces of crap. They never seem to break. Sound like shit

in comparason to the real things, which is probably why they will never break.

Was not aware the cary was the same transport, but the classe' certainly was,

their 2 box version of the scd-1 was like $10k. All the same problems...

If (when) my krell dies, there is a dealer just down the street, will have an

evolution next business day...

See if sony did not have their head stuck so far up their ass they would put

encrypted outputs on their $300 sacd/dvd players, then you buy a kickass

dac from someone who knows what they are doing (like krell). Then when the

drive dies, you throw it in the garbage and get another one. I happen to have

2 of these $300 pieces of crap. They never seem to break. Sound like shit

in comparason to the real things, which is probably why they will never break.

Was not aware the cary was the same transport, but the classe' certainly was,

their 2 box version of the scd-1 was like $10k. All the same problems...

If (when) my krell dies, there is a dealer just down the street, will have an

evolution next business day...

KG,

How does the SCD-1 compared to the Krell SACD standard in both redbook and SACD. I know that the Sony is only very good in redbook, but excellent on SACD playback. How does it measure up to the Krell? Did you get MarkII or Mark III?

Thanks

I have an original mark 1. Original transport. Its better than the sony

in every way. Another reason the sony gathers dust in the basement.

For cd's at the time i was using my krell kps20il-d9. which is still a great

but cd only player. I still have it, and it still works perfectly.

It does seem that people that have the most trouble with the transport

push the door closed. I have never done that. I just press open, put

a disc in and press play.

Sony seems to have a history with expensive fuckups. The scd-1 is one example.

The entire qualia line is another, expecially the -004 projector. And lets not

forget the 700+ lb 45 inch direct view trinitron circa 1992.

A number of the expensive players, like the esoteric don't actually do native

sacd, they convert to 196/24. I would rather have native sacd.