Who believes HF will move ads back to the right side?

Jon L

Will HF move ads back to the right column?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will HF move ads back to the right column?

• Yes
    • No
    • Get a life and buy 22" monitor
    • Use RIP (Remove It Permanently), stupid!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It runs so well on Apple iphones because of all the tech Apple put into both Safari and the iphone. The image rescaling algorithm is much better on the iphone, or in safari for the iphone, than windows internet browsers, including safari.

Apple has made pretty bold claims about Safari rendering java/images/etc much faster than any other browser. This is debatable for the PC, but when run on a mac, its true, as far as I can tell. Mac users hate Firefox.

It runs so well on Apple iphones because of all the tech Apple put into both Safari and the iphone. The image rescaling algorithm is much better on the iphone, or in safari for the iphone, than windows internet browsers, including safari.

Apple has made pretty bold claims about Safari rendering java/images/etc much faster than any other browser. This is debatable for the PC, but when run on a mac, its true, as far as I can tell. Mac users hate Firefox.

Mac OS X here, and I love Firefox too. Aside from the odd rare bug, it's a relatively solid web-application platform - things tend to work as they should, look good, etc. Now what I absolutely loathe is IE 5.5/6.0. As a dev, I hate having to support those browsers, and I hate how much of my time is wasted implementing bizarre workarounds for the plethora of quirks (you've got to be kidding me - select boxes still bleed through higher z-index elements, png still doesn't render alpha channel correctly without a non-standard hack, many many more examples to cite). The performance of Firefox has been adequate; it's the lack of quirky behavior I value most.

Wow I'm surprised at the amount of Firefox Mac users. Elsewhere on the web, people seem to have a deep, deep hatred for Firefox for Mac. At least Firefox 2. Hmm. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I guess :angel:

negative reports always outnumber the actual impact.

I posted on H-F in the thread about this subject and my subtle reference to the RIP extension got deleted in less than two minutes. I knew it would end up like this, but I felt like doing a test. :P

Anyway, Jude PMed me to explain that this part of the message was deleted for "obvious reasons". While I understand why he would do this, I asked him if it would be possible for him to post his official word about this matter instead of letting people speculating. We'll see if it works.

I posted on H-F in the thread about this subject and my subtle reference to the RIP extension got deleted in less than two minutes. I knew it would end up like this, but I felt like doing a test. :P

Anyway, Jude PMed me to explain that this part of the message was deleted for "obvious reasons". While I understand why he would do this, I asked him if it would be possible for him to post his official word about this matter instead of letting people speculating. We'll see if it works.

Of course not, it's not in his best interest to have it be easy for people to avoid the advertising on the site. That's what pays for the site.

Of course not, it's not in his best interest to have it be easy for people to avoid the advertising on the site. That's what pays for the site.

I agree with that and I understand why he needs advertising, but my point was that he should at least post an official word about the ads on the left. It was supposed to be for Can Jam only, but now it seems to be a permanent solution.

"...about this matter..." is too vague -- before your previous post, I thought you meant about ad-blocking. You mean about the ads.

"...about this matter..." is too vague -- before your previous post, I thought you meant about ad-blocking. You mean about the ads.

Sorry, that sentence worked in my head (in French), but the translation job was roughly done. :P

Sorry, that sentence worked in my head (in French), but the translation job was roughly done. :P
My point was, depending on how you phrased the PM, Jude may have gotten the same incorrect impression.

Perhaps someone should start a thread to recommend making the site viable on smartphones with internet access besides the iPhone. Is there a "Suggestions" forum? Or perhaps just take a poll, asking people if it works on their smartphone or not, and which one they have.

I think Headfi will never become the democracy everyone wants it to be.

Huh ??? I'm not sure what you mean... Nobody thinks it will be a democracy. Never has been, never will be. But if usage drops because of a poor layout with intrusive advertising, he may see it hurt the bottom line and cause Jude to change it. Or not.

And not to :horsey:, but considering how low the S/N ratio has gotten, it's no great loss... To me, at least.

Huh ??? I'm not sure what you mean... Nobody thinks it will be a democracy. Never has been, never will be. But if usage drops because of a poor layout with intrusive advertising, he may see it hurt the bottom line and cause Jude to change it. Or not.

And not to :horsey:, but considering how low the S/N ratio has gotten, it's no great loss... To me, at least.

Either that or due to the lower amount of visitors, he'll add more ads.

I just opened HF in IE by mistake, oh my God! I can't believe the amount of ads and intrusive advertising crap they've got going on in their now.

I logged into HF from work using IE today (all they have), and holy mother of Stax :kitty: Quite a shock after being used to Firefox/RIP.

If I was a new visitor, I'd be out of there immediately.

The only thing I don't like about RIP is the whole page loads first and then it does it's thing, on high speed at work most times you don't even see it except for the occassional flash of crap when it first loads before it eliminates stuff. It's a shame because I'm still on dial up at home so I was hoping RIP would prevent that stuff from even loading, alas, it does not so it's still slow as hell.