DAC Suggestions

tkam

I'd like to get a dac to pair with my recently acquired O2/KGSS rig. I'm currently using my APL modded Philips SACD1000 but there's a pretty big portion of music that I only have on hard drives. I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible but if I can't find anything to my liking I'm willing to wait it out awhile. I'll mostly likely be using the DAC with a Squeezebox as the transport.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to get a dac to pair with my recently acquired O2/KGSS rig. I'm currently using my APL modded Philips SACD1000 but there's a pretty big portion of music that I only have on hard drives. I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible but if I can't find anything to my liking I'm willing to wait it out awhile. I'll mostly likely be using the DAC with a Squeezebox as the transport.

mac mini + duet for $1000

Audiozone DAC-1

Perhaps a certain other member might be able to free up some time to give it a proper review :)

I'm using it under pretty poor conditions for now but I like what I hear. I'm having some issues with the crap codec in the computer but a USB transport will fix that.

Your definition of inexpensive and mine are very different. What price range are you looking for? If you are talking like under $250 cheap, I can probably be persuaded to get rid of my MSB. Link II.

Good point, not that cheap but then again I don't want to spend too much more than 1k.

tkam:

I'd at least try a properly implemented NOS DAC with this combination. TDA1543, TDA1541, TDA1545, TDA1547 etc.

I have the exact same combo (KGSS + SR-007) as you do and prefer these DACs in this situation.

I've heard many nos dacs with the TDA chips and have hated pretty much all of them.

I've heard many nos dacs with the TDA chips and have hated pretty much all of them.

Have you ever heard one of Pedja Rogic's NOS DACs? Strohmie's CD player / Dynamight had one of these in it. I'm building one, but have never heard one and conceptually I'm not sure I buy into the NOS hype.

Wait-- why am I building one??? :kitty: