Beatles albums remastered soon?

riceboy

Quick answer - it depends.

The mono versions were the versions that the Beatles actually heard and gave their ok on. The stereo versions were an after thought. Also, the mono's have better sound quality than the stereo versions up until Sgt. Pepper for most audiophiles. Moreover, EMI claims that the mono remasters have not been altered in any way.

I see, thanks!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want both sets?

Because the mono box set will be missing Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, and few other things, while the stereo box will be missing mono masters of stuff that didn't make it onto the albums.

i really like the Beatles, but those are going to have to sound really freaking good for me to drop $500 on the two sets.

I concur. I'm wondering if I would be able to just get individual albums instead of paying premium for box sets?

So the way to go would probably be to get the mono box set and the aforementioned few stereo masters individually?

actually the way to go would be to make sure they don't sound like shit.

then procure the Ebbets needledrops and Fabulous Sound Lab versions. from someone. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Dr Ebbett said that theyre better then his remasters

Ebbett's drops suck balls IMHO. Almost anything is better than his remasters. He might have the most complete catalog but to me, his rips are rather bright and shrill.

Mirror Spock's are much better but he sometimes uses too much NR. You can hear the space monkeys in some of those.

I think that some of the Hoffman board members do better drops than Ebbett's and Mirror Spock but their attitude is harsh at times.

In conclusion, let's wait for the remasters and then bitch about how Hoffman should have done them. ;)

What's your take, LFF? These the real deal? If so, are they what you expected? I can't download them here at work, but I'm wondering if I should take a sick afternoon :)

Honestly - I don't know. Here is my reasoning:

TRUE:

The internet is massive and if you know enough people and have enough contacts, you can get anything. I know for a fact that some of the remastered tracks have been out since more than a year. There are no official promo CD's AFIK, but there are some CD-R's that have been going from point to point. What's to say these guys over in Argentina received these CD-R's or a copy of them. Could be given the accessibility of the internet. As far as I can hear, they do have more a digital edge and they don't sound like vinyl rips.

HOAX:

With primitive sound equipment or low level plug-ins, you can do A LOT if you know how to use the equipment correctly. I consider my set-up to be rather low compared to some Hollywood Studios. Capitol Records has a cache of goods with EQ's that cost over 10k and other stuff that I can only dream of owning. I know a guy who went there to master an album and according to him, I got a much better sound using my gear than he did using what they had there. So, if these guys are clever, you can easily get the original CD's and EQ them, limit them and compress them to sound like remasters.

Also, notice that most USA radio stations don't have them yet. They are set to be delivered to radio stations on 9-01-09. I know some HARDCORE fans who haven't even heard the remasters aside from the Amazon samples and those are too low in quality to really be decisive about them.

So...who knows. I'm happy with what I have but will leave final judgment on the remasters once I hear them in lossless sound quality.

I can't wait for these to come out. I haven't heard them, but according to my boss who is a major Beatle maniac, they sound great. He's ordered the mono boxset and is deciding on if he should buy the stereo boxset or discs seperately, because he has the Beatles Box Of Vision on order.

I can't wait for these to come out. I haven't heard them, but according to my boss who is a major Beatle maniac, they sound great. He's ordered the mono boxset and is deciding on if he should buy the stereo boxset or discs seperately, because he has the Beatles Box Of Vision on order.

I also can't wait. If I had to buy one right now, it would also be the MONO box set.

while I am interested in the remasters if they sound like Let It Be (Naked) or Love then the LPs will still be better. Love had bette separation but the tone was all wrong, while I do not have the greatest collection of rare stuff I'll take the purple chicks (mp3s) over most of the stuff I have heard, yeah its 320 kps but you for many songs you get the separate track of the 4 track for Pepper and Revolver and can remix if you like.

I just dropped Pepper (red mono Japan) to 24/96 and so far it is my favorite. That japanese vinyl is super quiet but the LP master job could have been warmer. Probably done on SS gear in 86.

Honestly - I don't know. Here is my reasoning:

TRUE:

The internet is massive and if you know enough people and have enough contacts, you can get anything. I know for a fact that some of the remastered tracks have been out since more than a year. There are no official promo CD's AFIK, but there are some CD-R's that have been going from point to point. What's to say these guys over in Argentina received these CD-R's or a copy of them. Could be given the accessibility of the internet. As far as I can hear, they do have more a digital edge and they don't sound like vinyl rips.

HOAX:

With primitive sound equipment or low level plug-ins, you can do A LOT if you know how to use the equipment correctly. I consider my set-up to be rather low compared to some Hollywood Studios. Capitol Records has a cache of goods with EQ's that cost over 10k and other stuff that I can only dream of owning. I know a guy who went there to master an album and according to him, I got a much better sound using my gear than he did using what they had there. So, if these guys are clever, you can easily get the original CD's and EQ them, limit them and compress them to sound like remasters.

Also, notice that most USA radio stations don't have them yet. They are set to be delivered to radio stations on 9-01-09. I know some HARDCORE fans who haven't even heard the remasters aside from the Amazon samples and those are too low in quality to really be decisive about them.

So...who knows. I'm happy with what I have but will leave final judgment on the remasters once I hear them in lossless sound quality.

If anyone had a copy of the remasters before they are supposed to, it would definitely not be taken lightly. Security has always been extremely tight with anything related to the Beatles, extreme security measures such as video cameras everywhere and armed guards, etc. And I'm sure this will be no exception.