Beatles albums remastered soon?

riceboy

Damn, just got reamed by elusivedisc but they were the only ones I could find that still allowed ordering of the Mono Box Set. I will not procrastinate again .... I will not procrastinate again .... I will not procrastinate again .... I will not procrastinate again ....

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a sidebar in the latest Rolling Stone, "Meet the Beatles, Again":

One of the most fraught issues was loudness. The 1987 CDs are dramatically out of step with current trends in mastering - they sound puny next to more recent rock releases, which make extensive use of audio limiting to reduce dynamic range and make songs seem louder. After extensive debate, the engineers ended up using a "tiny amount" of limiting - which still had a major effect on the sound...
But even before the engineers began tweaking them, the digital transfers immediately sounded better than the 1987 versions, for two reasons: Analog-to-digital converters have vastly improved since then, and they were also able to work at a higher resolution than before: specifically, 24 bit, 192 khz, which is used in the Bly-ray audio format. At that bit rate, the engineers say, the digital version is indistinguishable from the original masters - but, alas, there are no plans for a Blu-ray release. ("There's plenty of time," McCartney says.)

The engineers were well aware that many listeners won't even spend much time listening in CD quality, let alone Blu-ray - they'll rip the CDs to their iPods and listen to them in lossy MP3 or AAC formats.

:palm:

Aargh! Why not release the @#$%&*! 24/192 versions for the few nuts who really want them?!
Serious!

People are (apparently) paying $600 for freaking mono[/]:

Beatles In Mono Box Set - Beatles - CD - Buy.com

...certainly there are enough of us nut-jobs left in the world who would shell out for "indistinguishable from the original masters". Heck, I'd even forgo the option of listening to lossy MP3s!

Here is the email I got from amazon if anyone happens to be interested (although this is not really new news).

-----

Hello from Amazon.com,

Our records indicate you purchased a Beatles Mono Box Set, and we wanted to update you on its availability.

This new information will not affect your pre-order--if you pre-ordered a mono box set, you will receive it.

The manufacturer has informed us that they will be producing additional mono box sets due to high demand. While the box set remains a limited-production item, it will not be capped at 10,000 copies for the U.S. market, as originally reported.

We will be getting more of the box sets in stock and will continue to update availability information on our FAQ page:

Beatles Box Sets: Special Availability Message

Well I never really cared how limited it was and I did wait for a Singlepower amp, so I do have a bit of patience. :D I am curious as to why they decided to roll back the highly escalated price.

because they took a drubbing on the internet for the escalated pricing and acoustic sounds had the decency to offer pre order for the next run at $239.

I listened to Abbey Road stereo remaster (though slightly louder than I normally listen to try and really stress this disc), and my conclusion is it sounds modern. Not entirely bad, not entirely good.

The buried detail they were able to bring forth is really cool, especially on headphones. But the entire album sounds more processed and unnatural compared to my Toshiba black triangle CD.

I see a good number of people talking about the compression, for what it's worth it doesn't bother me that much. At very loud volumes it does sound harsh, not sure if this is due to the mild compression, EQ choices or a combination of both.

All impressions based off the setup in my signature, but different DAC.

Edited by deepak