The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

The Panasonic S9 is kind of interesting. Just watched the live intro and they're really stressing the color grade in camera (thru LUTs with a dedicated button) and share immediately. Two new lenses (pancake included free with camera some package deals) also focused on size and slow apertures for snaps. No mechanical shutter though. Not sure if mimicking phone publishing speed will make it less desirable to also carry or bridge the quality jump, but will be interesting to watch. The reviews seem already split on this question. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

I don't know much about cameras, but the Lumix S9 caught my interest too.

I've set my sights on the new Fujifilm X-T50, however... I think it has more flexibility. 📸

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

I dunno. I wouldn't necessarily undervalue the LUT move here, especially with the successes of Fuji generally and X100 specifically, but yeah we're at the point where most models are good enough and it's personal desires greatly weighing differently now. In this space it's pretty much Sigma's fp, with the same electronic shutter, no easy flash, and no built in EVF. Maybe Sony’s ZV-E1, which we have at work, again similar limitations and great at video, but surprisingly sucky at photography. I suspect, based on the X100 success, most buyers, especially those not already trained to suffer, would put accurate WB and default colors over many features, but this is has been a long battle among manufactures. Panny's choice, from a stills perspective anyway, is a novel one and they’re trying to end/minimize editing. It seems to take Fuji's approach further as it does the Oly Pen-F color control knob. Or anyway that's how I see it, at least until we find out how limiting that electronic shutter is. ;) 
IMG_6153.jpeg

EDIT: I just spent an hour defending the potential of the S9 over on Threads ("most pointless cameras to be released in recent times", etc.), so clearly in the minority here. 🫣

Edited by blessingx

1 hour ago, Torpedo said:

Cool. At least it has EVF. Will it have mechanical shutter?

😉 I’m sure. It looks to be the basic hardware design Panasonic released six years ago (and discontinued four years later). Likely a different lens though. I’m sure it’s still a fantastic camera, just priced a little high. I still have the LX5 and like it quite a bit. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

As I was asked in the consumer thread, the Light Lens Lab 1966 (Leica’s original 50mm f/1.2 ASPH Noctilux recreation) arrived two days ago. Probably wrong to pick up the brass version for solid weightiness, because it’s very solid and very weighty, but feels great in the hand when not mounted. ;) Kind of the opposite of the modern CV 50mm Nokton f/1.0 in traits and balance. Accurate in all the 60s fast lens grand imperfections. And I mean all of them. Some disappear as you close down. These are all toss away snaps shot too wide open for the effect, but work is going to keep me busy for a bit and figured I’d post a few slightly exposure tweaked SOOO jpgs from a SL (typ 601) now. Great potential. 

L1070844.jpeg

L1070800.jpeg

L1070827.jpeg

L1070795.jpeg

L1070789.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Anybody have experience with the Minolta CLE? It has caught my interest, especially if it’s compatible with telescoping lenses (I’m thinking of the new Thypoch Simera).

I played around with one 30 years ago. If one were a collector and a Leica completist it's worth having, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a camera to use.

Have you looked at the various Rollei 35's?

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 1

I have my dad’s Rollei 35. Needs a CLA. I was looking at the CLE because it has aperture priority like the M7, but is a lot cheaper. 

I’m very happy with the Q straight from camera. I would like something resembling this on 35mm. The FM2, which I basically only use for portraits, and (presumably) the Rollei are fiddly. My AF SLRs are big and noisy. A rangefinder with AP mode might split the difference  

L1080215.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I used to own a Contax G. It's a great camera with great lenses. It will do AP, shutter priority, full auto, or full manual.

Olympus OM system (1, 2, 3, or 4, not the consumer level bodies) might also be worth a look as they are much more compact and quieter than contemporary SLRs.

41 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

L1080215.jpeg

I like the picture, but as a personal preference I think the composition would be stronger if you took a step to the right, squatted down, and pointed a little to the left and tilted higher or lower. That would get the vanishing point out of the center of the frame, move the horizon from the center, move the arrow on the parking sign to the right and make it point into the shot rather than out of it, and emphasize either the building, the sky, or the ground. And one of the things that was really hammered home to me was to avoid taking pictures from eye level where people already see. Instead, get high, or low, in order to give a perspective that is a little out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Oh, you are certainly correct. But it’s just a happy snap taken with many other happy snaps. I definitely should have knelt. I blame my bad back for that one. Also trying to keep up with Heather and Otis, after doing some architectural sign shots (which is what I was actually doing). Not sure how I would have had the sign point into the composition, though…

Things to think about, camera (and composition!) wise. Maybe I should just use the cameras I have and get better. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Posted (edited)

As promised, I divested myself of the Canon 28-90.  I made some attempts to use the Canon 35-80mm F/4-5.6 III, which is slightly less bad but still awful.  Color transmission and contrast are both lacking.  Distortion is present, but far less so than the 28-90. 

zDyRy12.jpeg

The MV museum's parking lot.  35-80 @ 64mm,  F/18, which is probably well into diffraction territory.  I worked this image over pretty thoroughly in Luminar 4 and Photoshop.

4qU6hlL.jpg

A few feet back, also 64mm and F/20 which is ...excessive.
EDIT: Hours later.  One goddamn wrong link fixed.

Y8WVpUz.jpeg

Sweetened Water Farm, across from my house.  Golden hour sun.  Less editing than one might think (contrast enhancement mostly).  80mm, F/18.

WAOoInf.jpeg

That famous little shack, which is one of my regular test subjects.  35mm, F/14.  Much work done in Photoshop correcting distortion, boosting contrast and colors.  That's probably it for me and the 28-80.  It manages to suck less than the 28-90, which is damnation with the faintest of praise.

Tune in next time when I take the Nifty Fifty to the famous Lucy Vincent Beach and the Gay Head Cliffs (yes, that's really their name.)

Edited by Knuckledragger
  • Like 3

“They don’t pick up their negatives,” Cohen said of his customers, guessing that maybe 10 percent of them return for the rolls. Behind him, a colleague corrects him: “Five percent.” Another, laughing: “Zero percent.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/06/arts/film-photography-negatives.html?unlocked_article_code=1.xk0.0ezG.Bja9SMUZvLQd&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb (gift article)

Let's talk about Lucy Vincent and Gay Head.  The former has a bunch of famous rock formations, which I mostly failed to capture:

xFhQOXz.jpeg

KE6Ih2K.jpeg

Approaching minimalism.  Nifty 50, 5D IV.

UAswJk8.jpeg

A study of the rock formations. 50/5D.

B35J5Dp.jpeg

iPhone uh 13? with the "Camera+ Legacy" app.  I will never like mobile phone camera apps, but Camera+ allows for some taming of the pseudo HDR bullshit Apple does out of the box.  It also has a really neat white balance control.  (More on that later.  Much later.)

1COtefT.jpeg

tbR15bN.jpeg

hBN2TvF.jpeg

ibid.

The town of Aquinnah, MA was known as Gay Head from 1870 to 1997.  The townsfolk elected to change the name to honor the native people who lived there and certainly not for any other reason stop snickering.  Aquinnah is famous for its brick lighthouse and brightly colored cliffs.  Said cliffs are still called "The Gay Head Cliffs."  They're among the most photographed things on MV.

037Vov8.jpeg

7xCZ5O2.jpeg

LFGpndg.jpeg

All taken with the iPhone/Camera+ app.  You can't tell from here, but that guy in the water is naked.  It's is not a nude beach.

oLRUAuL.jpeg

The one feature about SMRT phone cameras that I really like is taking panorama shots.  The cliffs and lighthouse seen from the lookout platform in the most touristy area.  Fortunately when I was there most stores were closed and it wasn't crowded.

I7YpPwB.jpeg

The walk from the parking lot to the beach is actually quite long.  I took this shot from the start of the jaunt.  The building to the left is the <mumble> museum, which was closed.  50/5D.  Minimal editing (I am obsessive about having a perfectly flat ocean horizon line.)

i5wwAPe.jpeg

The view from the lookout platform.  50/5D.

Next time: Asparagus in the sky!  (AKA asperitas clouds.)

• Like 4

My very-soon-to-be Mother-in-law cut her teeth on a Brownie Holiday Flash. 127 film is still made, so I thought it would be fun to take her pic on one. Found a LNIB model. Well, it had the box, and looks new other than oxidation on pot metal parts, but look what I found in it… you’d better believe I’m going to develop it! I’d guess it was the only roll out through it. It’s not even a fat roll: nice job person who loaded it!

IMG_0377.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3