The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I really like my 35L but I honestly think the difference between it and my previous 35 f2 is mostly in build quality. Both can be very sharp when stepped down. The L has better color representation I believe but I never used both lenses on the same body.

I am liking this S95 a lot. I am heading up to Boston tomorrow and I am going to take it instead of a big camera.

I have a question for the camera experts. I wanted to upgrade my p&s (Panasonic ZS3). I was thinking of getting a Micro 4/3" (GF1 with pancake lens). However, it is still pretty large and has no zoom or image stabilization. So that got me looking at the LX5 which is slightly cheaper. I looked into the S95 but between the two, I think I would go for the LX5. Any reason that I should go for the GF1 over the LX5 (besides the obvious bigger sensor, etc.)? I would probably carry this around with me everywhere in a small messenger type bag or backpack. I also have a D90 but don't carry it around with me that often for obvious reasons.

You can take pictures like this in absolutely crappy lighting. This was a poorly lit convention hall, they had a softbox & bounce flash setup at the booth but it was only for the DSLR cameras. I shot this with the kit zoom on the Olympus E-PL1, the only thing I've done is resize and crop it. I deliberately blurred this picture a bit for a softer focus effect by shooting at something like 1/8 of a second at ISO 100 on the slow kit zoom, actual photos will be a lot sharper.

P1010216.jpg

With a Canon S95 or any other P&S camera, the skintones won't come out as nice and it'll take some editing to make the colours & contrast look right. And even though there's no image stabilization, you can crank the ISO on a micro 4/3 camera a lot higher while still keeping good image quality and decent shutter speeds, especially with a fast lens like the 20mm/f1.7.

Personally I'd rather get the Samsung NX100, it about the same size as the micro 4/3 cameras but has a sensor that's twice the size. I also find it's simpler and easier to use than the micro 4/3 cameras, the menus are simpler and the dual control wheels are a joy to use. The only thing you give up vs. the GF1 is the built in flash, to me this isn't a problem, your needs may vary.

Okay, planning to go to the Village Halloween parade on Sunday and need to figure out the gear I will haul over there.

Probably the 7d with the 70-200 and the 5d mkII with the 35 f1.4. I am kind of tempted to forego the 35 for the 50 f1.4 or the new Sigma 85 f1.4 for the reach. Or I could really go nuts and put the 15 f2.8 fisheye.

I am assuming decent enough light that the fisheye/70-200 combo might make for an interesting setup with the zoom getting the most work.

Any opinions from the nightlife photographers?

:D

I played around with a S95 in a store yesterday. The handling was a lot better than I expected and the matte finish was grippy enough. I wish I'd remember to take my SD card so I could've taken some pics with it.

...Sigma 85 f1.4 for the reach.

How is the new Sigma 85?

Out of curiosity, has anyone here needed to clean a sensor manually yourself? While I haven't gotten any dust on my sensor yet (not any I can see), I'm wondering how hard (or not) it is to clean it yourself since there's no way in hell I'm sending mine back to Canon every time sensor needs a cleaning.

EDIt - Ooo, pretty graphs. Must go read the article.

I put the old one up for sale when I found this one. The thing looks to be unused so it made sense to pick it up. If I don't sell the other one then I guess I will just have double redundancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only practical advantage is file size. I can obviously take smaller Raw files on the 5DmkII to make them more manageable but they are still much larger than the full size raw on the 5Dc. When I might need all those Pixels I would probably take the mkII but for everyday use the 5Dc is a fantastic camera and will do everything I would ever need.

Some shots from the Photo Expo.

400.jpg

Biker.jpg

Model.jpg

Model4.jpg

Model5.jpg