The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Heh... and I'm OK with that.

I think he's going to have a ton of fun with that kit.

Rebel XT with 18-55 IS lens. I wish that would have been around for MY 5th birthday...

**BRENT**

Yeah I would imagine getting a camera like that would be a really cool birthday present for a little boy.

What lens is he using?

Here are some migratory birds. Really impressive numbers, hard to translate in pics. Basically they glide they way into hot air pockets, they gain altitude (circling) and keep going until the next hot pocket, repeat, repeat... You see these "highways" of birds going for days... I guess if you are coming south once you get to Panama, there is not much room to maneuver.

20101025_1.jpg

20101025_17.jpg

20101025_20.jpg

20101025_13.jpg

20101025_5.jpg

Spooky Halloween to everyone here!

20101025_143.jpg

20101025_153.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.head-case.org/forums/20101025_1.jpg

Yeah I would imagine getting a camera like that would be a really cool birthday present for a little boy.

What lens is he using?

Canon EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 IS

It's the kit lens for the newer Canon entry level cameras.

For now, that's probably just about perfect, and I suspect the Image Stabilization is going to go a long way towards having more pictures turn out. He got to take pictures of his friends, and he let them take pictures too (with close parental supervision, of course).

Just got a Canon t2i and have been researching lenses. I actually sold off the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens as I need to do a lot of house internal shots with available light and thought I needed faster lenses. I may regret this..

I have a Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX AF 11-16mm F2.8 on order for those internal wide angle shots. I have borrowed a Canon 50 mm F1.8 II (80mm equivalent on my APS-C), and its focal length is too long for my usual shooting distances inside houses, party-shots, etc.

So I'm looking for a good fast 28mm to 35mm Prime lens as my "normal" prime, considering Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM and Tokina 35mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO DX Macro, the latter being cheaper at Amazon. Any preferences between the two, or any other lenses?

Video-capture is an adventure. Although there *is* a menu for auto-focus during movie, enabling it doesn't seem to really focus automatically (?). Trying to focus by pressing on shutter half-way or turning the lens focus ring results in all that being captured on video. Also, one shocker was how steady one needs to hold the camera while shooting 1080p video. Just a little step or movement, and the video becomes very jerky. Does anyone have experience with camera stabilizer like this one from indiehardware.com? Another being Hague (from UK and more expensive after shipping)

indiehardware.jpg

It's canon. You're kinda shit outta luck without going L. This is what I've been bitching about for the past 2 years. I'd go with the 28mm 1.8 considering that there's not even a review on the Tokina. It's going to be far better in low light anyway. If you use this focal length more than 50% of the time I'd suggest that you get the 35mm 1.4L and wait to buy a longer zoom later.

Yeah I would think the S90 would be a great choice. Haven't been able to shoot much with the S95 but I have been very impressed with highish ISO shots and the IS.

ISO 800 handheld 1/20 at f2.0 Boring picture but I was just playing around with it last night.

monkey.jpg

Straight from the camera jpeg. Cropped only in Aperture. Fairly low light, primarily the light from my monitor. The handheld at 1/20 impressed me but I do not use IS on lenses for the DSLRs often.

Edited by VPI

Argh. It appears S90 is not in the Canon Loyalty Program, which means I'd have to pay for a full refurb price (comes out to ~$320 when you add in Franiec's grip & Lensmate control dial solution). At that price point, it's getting too close to the price of a new S95 alone (better control dial, matte finish to help with the grip) and over what wife wanted to spend on a P&S we won't be using all that much.

Some from a walk in Time Square. Kind of a gloomy day so nothing special. These are out of the camera via the iPad Camera Connection Kit and then cropped in Photogene.

1cc8000b.png

b08f8326.png

If you look closely at this one you will see me in the top left corner of the video board in the picture. I am the big white spot above the umbrella.

021cfa4a.png

It's canon. You're kinda shit outta luck without going L. This is what I've been bitching about for the past 2 years. I'd go with the 28mm 1.8 considering that there's not even a review on the Tokina. It's going to be far better in low light anyway. If you use this focal length more than 50% of the time I'd suggest that you get the 35mm 1.4L and wait to buy a longer zoom later.

It really seems like Canon needs to develop some better updated prime lenses in 28, 35mm f/1.8 or better. The 35mm 1.4L is $1329 (Amazon) and 28mm f/1.8 $459, so the former is way more than I want to spend for one prime, and the latter has tons of reviewers bitching about its chromatic aberration and sensitivity to sunlight.

What's wrong with just getting a 35mm f/2? Yes, it's an old design without USM, but I think it's a perfectly capable lens. You can pick one up new for around $330, and on used market, I've seen ones as low as $230 which is practically nothing (relatively speaking).

Edited by Salt Peanuts
Spelling

It does??! How useable is it at F/2 to 2.8 in dim houses?

I have a (now ancient) EOS30D. I've posted over 1000s photos taken with it with it on my Flickr page. I often shoot in stupidly low light conditions, such as nightclubs. My 35mm F/2 served me famously, until a drunk club-goer knocked my camera off a table and on to the ground, lens-first. As it stands now, I have a manual focus 35mm, until I send it in to Canon to be repaired. :-\