What If I Were Looking For a Complementary HP for The 750..?

Contrastique

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peter Pinna

When I wrote this above post last night, I wrote in something of a hurry and was kind of "hung up" on the word "accurate". Probably a better way to state my thinking on this subject would be as follows:

Audio when played through the Ultrasone Pro 750 headphones (in their default state) sounds more similar to the sound of that same audio when being played through "neutral" ("flat") high quality studio monitor speakers in an acoustically "tuned" to EQ "neutral" ("flat") room compared to any other headphone I've ever heard, IMO.

This is not to say that I hold the opinion that the Pro 750's are EQ'd "neutral" ("flat"). Indeed, I do not believe the Pro 750's are EQ'd "neutral" ("flat").

Also, it is possible that there is a headphone which I have not yet heard which I would think would play audio even more similarly to that same audio being played through "neutral" ("flat") EQ'd studio monitors in an acoustically "tuned" room compared to the 750's.

This is purely an opinion and nothing more, based on the way I perceive sound. At no point have I ever, nor do I now present these ideas as a statement of fact.

One more thought: The only reason I am writing about this here on Head-Case is because I was misquoted.

Guest Peter Pinna

I found this quote by yet another sound professional who seems to have a similar opinion about the Pro 750's as me. In case the skeptical among us are curious, no, I am not Phil Selman and I did not write the following comment:

Phil Selman, Sweetwater Sales Engineer

"Putting on a pair of Ultrasones is like stepping into an expertly tuned room with a pair of top end monitors. Instead of the exaggerated stereo associated with typical headphones, the S-Logic system bounces sound into you ears naturally for a realistic image. I consider my 750s to be one of the single best studio investments I've made."

:cool:

I found this quote by yet another sound professional who seems to have a similar opinion about the Pro 750's as me. In case the skeptical among us are curious, no, I am not Phil Selman and I did not write the following comment:

"Putting on a pair of Ultrasones is like stepping into an expertly tuned room with a pair of top end monitors. Instead of the exaggerated stereo associated with typical headphones, the S-Logic system bounces sound into you ears naturally for a realistic image. I consider my 750s to be one of the single best studio investments I've made."

I don't recognize that guy, but as a general rule most "sound professionals", "audiophiles", etc. have shittastic knowledge of or experience with headphones.

When you have nothing for comparison, anything will sound good.

:cool:

Ok, I'll bite. Sweetwater makes there living selling pro audio equipment so what exactly is a "sales engineer". Does he engineer sales or does he sell engineers? What exactly makes him a sound professional? I can write anything I want in my sales catalog, as well as on the internet :palm:

Guest Peter Pinna
I don't recognize that guy, but as a general rule most "sound professionals", "audiophiles", etc. have shittastic knowledge of or experience with headphones.

When you have nothing for comparison, anything will sound good.

Wow! You should consider giving lessons to Don Rickles because in one short sentence you have managed to insult several people on Head Case, HF, most other Sound Professionals and Audiophiles.

Whose opinion, then, do you value? Yours? If so, what category do you belong in that causes your opinion about headphones to be more valid than these others?

Guest Peter Pinna
Ok, I'll bite. Sweetwater makes there living selling pro audio equipment so what exactly is a "sales engineer". Does he engineer sales or does he sell engineers? What exactly makes him a sound professional? I can write anything I want in my sales catalog, as well as on the internet :palm:

I do not know the answer to your question. Perhaps you could contact Sweetwater and find out, then, report back and let us know. Thank you. ;)

Guest Peter Pinna
I don't think he's being an asshat there. I may not agree with his impressions of ultrasone headphones, but saying he things they're flat compared with studio monitors that have been eq'd flat isn't an asshat thing to say.

Thank you very much, grawk, for your defense on my behalf. The truth is that I never either promoted or defended Ultrasone headphones universally. The only Ultrasone Headphone I promoted and to a much greater extent defended was the Pro (Proline) 750. Unless I have a question, I never "discuss" headphones I haven't heard.

I do not know the answer to your question. Perhaps you could contact Sweetwater and find out, then, report back and let us know. Thank you. ;)

You just don't get it. You come in here spouting your shit with no real information content and nothing to back up what you say. If you are going to use someone to make a point you better know something about them. Otherwise I will just assume that by sound professional you meant some as in:

If the rest of your information is based upon the same slack acceptance of "facts" then you should thank Voltron for being as kind to you as he was. But maybe Grawk was right, perhaps you are not an asshat, just a pompous fucktard.

Peter, if you like the 750s, no one here has a problem with that. Contrastique likes the 750s, has said so at every turn, and no one has a problem with that and/or her. I think you'll find that many of us have tried the 750s and/or 2500s (I owned the latter and listened to the former at a couple meets) and other Ultrasones, and don't care for them when compared to other headphones we've owned and tried. Enjoy them as you do, but I'm just going to suggest you don't try lather up your praise of them here.

He can post what he wants here, but if it's shit (like the sound professional BS; appeal to authority) then I am going to call him on it. If that is your definition of piling on, then so be it. I could care less if he likes the 750 pro, but I do care if he comes in saying it is as neutral as a studio monitor with no other information to back it up (such as what studio monitor as there is more than one).

Wow! You should consider giving lessons to Don Rickles because in one short sentence you have managed to insult several people on Head Case, HF, most other Sound Professionals and Audiophiles.

Whose opinion, then, do you value? Yours? If so, what category do you belong in that causes your opinion about headphones to be more valid than these others?

Perhaps I was too broad in what I first said...all I mean is that the mainstream and most people come from a speaker perspective, and if you've followed any of the magazines or other forums, I think its fairly clear that they're not fully aware of headphones and their needs or opportunities. This is not a problem until someone from this side barges in proclaiming headphone greatness.

It is not an insult to point out one's lack of experience. None of us can give a qualified opinion on everything. Not even aerius ;)