Musings from the Wood Side of Things

Aura

Bought a piece of Rosewood and churned out a couple of woodies. It is an amazing specimen as far as wood goes and I hope to use it again in the future; it had a brilliant graining that shines up pretty nicely if I do say so myself.

HPIM3204.jpg

The cups on the left are a commissioned SR225 woody, and the big 'un on the right is my D2000 that some of you might have seen over on the other site.

Hope to try out Cocobolo for my next project, just not looking forward to the cost :/.

Thanks everybody :).

Nice! Can't quite tell the species from the pics. What finish did you use?

Getting a "nice" from the wood guru himself... *falls out of chair*

It was sealed in Tung Oil, sat for 24 hours, then applied a 3-step polish and buff. I'm not quite sure what the first two steps are, since my grandfather provided the kit, but the third is the actual wax polish that coats the wood.

You think there's too much gloss? It seems that the more gloss you use the more "wow" factor it has. I am, however, a bit old fashioned in my preference for wood and I'd rather use too little gloss than too much. Anything to help keep the original nature of the wood.

Thanks everybody :).

Getting a "nice" from the wood guru himself... *falls out of chair*

It was sealed in Tung Oil, sat for 24 hours, then applied a 3-step polish and buff. I'm not quite sure what the first two steps are, since my grandfather provided the kit, but the third is the actual wax polish that coats the wood.

You think there's too much gloss? It seems that the more gloss you use the more "wow" factor it has. I am, however, a bit old fashioned in my preference for wood and I'd rather use too little gloss than too much. Anything to help keep the original nature of the wood.

It's very well deserved, I can tell from the pics that you took your time and didn't take short cuts with sanding and finishing.

The gloss definitely has the wow factor. I usually go with a satin finish, so that finger prints aren't a never ending job to wipe off. There's no denying that the high gloss just sucks your eyes into the beautiful grain pattern though, and IMO looks stunning on that particular Rosewood. Can't wait to see the finished Grados as well. :cool::cool::cool:

It's very well deserved, I can tell from the pics that you took your time and didn't take short cuts with sanding and finishing.

The gloss definitely has the wow factor. I usually go with a satin finish, so that finger prints aren't a never ending job to wipe off. There's no denying that the high gloss just sucks your eyes into the beautiful grain pattern though, and IMO looks stunning on that particular Rosewood. Can't wait to see the finished Grados as well. :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks much bro, your compliments are appreciated :).

I'm really curious to see how those Grado monsters will fit between the forks!

Nice work on the wood as well.

Yeah, it will be close. With my first Grado woody, I was forced to cut down the fork of the cup, as can be seen here:

HPIM2380.jpg?t=1205944602

those cups somehow look familiar... And I have some lonely SR225 I bet they would look lovely on.

I bet they would ;).

Thanks for the kind words all.