moth si2a3/45h

recstar24

I was certain you had bought that beauty when I saw the HF listing for your ZD and the Moth amp listed as Sale Pending almost immediately. I know you wanted to find that particular amp and congrats on snagging it. I would love to hear some real comparisons of the 2a3 vs. 45. I did not *love* JP's Si2a3 with headphones but it did sound great with his speaker setup. This amp, however, is really intriguing because of the 45s. When you have some time, that would be great.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing too exciting. The key is that if you look at the amp, there is a "hood" that is underneath the base of the amp. The majority of the point to point wiring is underneath and routed through this area, giving it from glance a clean look. Other than that, you have the output transformers electraprint TM3K-B, polypropylene caps for the PSU, the tube sockets, its actually quite a simple enough circuit, or at least compared to the ZD circuit, is much simpler. I'm happy.

Electraprint trannies and polypro for PSU is a nice touch.

What is between the driver tube and output tube, though? Cap-coupled? Which cap..

Electraprint trannies and polypro for PSU is a nice touch.

What is between the driver tube and output tube, though? Cap-coupled? Which cap..

No cap between driver and output tube, who woulda thunk it! Good ole DC coupled, just the transformer. Makes it even more special, most of the transformer coupled amps out there with speakers have some sort of cap between the driver and output tube or in combination with the output tranny.

I do plan on picking up a set of EML 45's sooner than later, but it won't be a fair comparison as I only have the sovtek 2a3's and really don't want to bother with the NOS 2a3 thing again.

I do plan on picking up a set of EML 45's sooner than later, but it won't be a fair comparison as I only have the sovtek 2a3's and really don't want to bother with the NOS 2a3 thing again.

I used to run EML 45 solid plates in my 45 SET. Now I have 2A3 SET and have both Sovtek 2A3 and Shuaguang 2A3C (newest version). The Shuaguang's are quite excellent compared to Sovtek, and it would be interesting to compare EML45 to Shuaguang 2A3C, as I do not believe the EML45 will unquestionably win, especially if more power will be of benefit..

i own the 2A3C and the EML 2A3-S, and the latter unquestionably is much better. the sovteks are the most reliable 2A3 tube i own, but the 2A3C sound a lot better just not nearly as good as the EML. i purchased the 2A3C from super tnt about ten months ago, yet i don't know if they're the newest version.

How much are the shuguang 2a3c;s jon and 909? There was an audiogon seller trying to push them for $400. I sent him an email linking to an ebay seller that had them for maybe 50-60 a pair. Later on he dropped his tubes to 199.

I have sent emails to tubesusa and ram labs about the EML's. George from tubesusa got back to me very quick and seems super enthusiastic, have not heard back from roger at ram labs. Any insight into the experience with those vendors would be highly appreciated.

Get the EML's and be done with it, don't bother dicking around with other tubes unless someone has a stash of NOS RCA monoplate 2A3's they're willing to sell you for cheap since that's the only tube that sounds as good as the EML's.

I have RCA twin plates, JJ's, and had a borrowed pair of EML solidplates for a while, it's not even close, the EML's are way ahead in every aspect.

Get the EML's and be done with it, don't bother dicking around with other tubes unless someone has a stash of NOS RCA monoplate 2A3's they're willing to sell you for cheap since that's the only tube that sounds as good as the EML's.

I have RCA twin plates, JJ's, and had a borrowed pair of EML solidplates for a while, it's not even close, the EML's are way ahead in every aspect.

Ah, gotta love the aerius bluntness...and I can say I agree with you on this one. With my previous moth s2a3 I really did dick around with a bunch of NOS 2a3's and 50% had reliability and noise issues and the 50% that were actually functional were more different than better than the generic sovtek or EH 2a3's. The AVVT mesh 2a3's were enlightening to say the least.

I just sent my order for EML solid plate 45 tubes and they are being shipped tomorrow - george from tubesusa appears to be very customer service oriented and I have been trying to find one bad thing about him on the web and can't find anything. The former owner of my moth used the EML 45's and used them exclusively, sold every other tube he had. I heard the combo at his place 2 times and the combination was really exquisite. I'm excited to say the least.

Edited by recstar24
grammar

Just came in today...

recstar24-albums-eml-45-picture212-eml-45.jpg

recstar24-albums-eml-45-picture213-eml-45-2.jpg

They are "burning in" as we speak, and I have to run some errands and do my night thing in a second. Will listen much more later than the 5 minutes that I have so far, but right now the midrange clarity is pretty out of this world.

Now to find a cheap pair of EML 2a3's and I will be complete:p

They are "burning in" as we speak, and I have to run some errands and do my night thing in a second. Will listen much more later than the 5 minutes that I have so far, but right now the midrange clarity is pretty out of this world.

Now to find a cheap pair of EML 2a3's and I will be complete:p

Sweet! Your next project, should you choose to accept, is to get an amp built around the EML AD1 mesh plate. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking some inside pics when I went in to swap out the 6j5's for some metal based sylvanias.

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture252-inside-chassis-moth-2a3.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture251-inside-back-chassis-moth-2a3.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture253-moth-452.jpg

Here is a comparison of the older moth si2a3, notice the power transformer is in the main chassis.

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture254-moth-internals.jpg

So far this amp has really impressed me, and I have no regrets in selling the Zana to go with the moth si2a3/45H. I am positive that I am a transformer kind of guy, I just really dig the sound. Craig really put some major thought into this amp because it has as much detail and transparency as the ZD, and at times I almost believe it has a touch more focus and clarity in certain parts, but tonally the moth sounds more wet, at least with my low impedance grados. Doesn't hurt to be using the EML 45's which have really blossomed into something extraordinary.

Now time to pick up some sensitive speakers and snag some EML 2a3's and I think I'm good.

Woo, very scrumptious!!

I imagine all those transformers weigh quite a bit. How tall are the big bottles?

Yeah, the trannies are a chunk. My original moth s2a3 had the output trannies and the psu trannie all in the same chassis. Combine that with the military crate and that was not fun getting up two floors when i picked it up fedex. At least this new moth version has the separate power supply so some of the weight is lifted off, but even still it is a chunker.

The eml's are very tall, much taller than normal globe rca 45's and you can see the reference, how much it dwarfs the normal mullard rectifier that is there as well.

• 4 weeks later...

AudiogoN ForSale: Moth 2A3

That's the 1st version. Most beautiful chassis you'll ever see. It's painted and laquered almost like something you would see on a lexus or mercedes. The logo is laser etched on and beautiful. Gotta love the ruby lamp and old school AC cloth power cord that is attached. I almost want to make an offer myself on the military crate:D

Yeah, saw that for sale yesterday. Just makes me want to listen to my EC2A3 that much sooner :).

You had a lacquered version to being with, right Ryan?

You know it, in fact, it was the very 1st one (sort of), or should I say, the 1st one ever made by Craig, that was used at the Stereophile show that got Moth Audio on the map, and was used as the review item for stereophile, absolute sound, enjoy the music, etc. This was early 90's I believe. Absolute beautiful inside and outside too. Brass plaques on the transformers that showed you how to wind the custom transformer taps. Fracken genius.

You know it, in fact, it was the very 1st one (sort of), or should I say, the 1st one ever made by Craig, that was used at the Stereophile show that got Moth Audio on the map, and was used as the review item for stereophile, absolute sound, enjoy the music, etc. This was early 90's I believe. Absolute beautiful inside and outside too. Brass plaques on the transformers that showed you how to wind the custom transformer taps. Fracken genius.

come on Ryan, you are sugarcoating and excluding some important facts here. :P

it's got a much more interesting history!

come on Ryan, you are sugarcoating and excluding some important facts here. :P

it's got a much more interesting history!

For sure - still doesn't undermine how beautiful it sounded, looked, and the extra things that I saw inside which Craig confirmed he put there himself, and were never to appear on another 2a3 variant thereof, which JP #'s can confirm as well;)

• 1 month later...