Rudistor XJ-03

minivan

This unit is just like every single other thing rudi has made. The finish is called

solderbrite. The boards are still layed out by hand as evidenced the parallel

traces not being parallel. Audio Research still does a lot of their stuff this way.

The finish lasts no more than about 10 years before corrosion starts to cause

trouble.

I did a set of prototype boards this way about 20 years ago. And decided never

again. it is a bunch cheaper because 2 less masks are needed.

reminds me of some crap I've seen on Lamm products as well.

I did a set of prototype boards this way about 20 years ago. And decided never

again. it is a bunch cheaper because 2 less masks are needed.

How much cheaper are we talking since having that board made with proper mask, screen, etc. couldn't cost $6/bd assuming that Rudi orders like any other man'f and buys 100 or so at a time.

Pictures can very easily lie. It could be pictures of a prototype, it could be pictures of something completely different. I'm not saying it is, I honestly don't care.

I see your point. It could be a picture of a prototype. A lousy prototype. It could also be an elaborate ruse wherein some malicious competitor/customer/spurned Italian lover posted pics of some other amp's internals transplanted into a Rudistor case. Those scenarios are simply far less likely than the implied scenario -- someone took pictures of the inside of their production amp. Either way, it gives people a sliver of doubt about purchasing a Rudistor product over any of the other options available, and that's an excellent thing. There is no indication that Rudistor is anything less than the savior of voltage and curent at Head-fi, so I'm glad we have head-case to level the field.

Grawk, you've been here a while, so you might be somewhat acclimated to the differences between HF and here. I understand Tyrion's position on moderation, and I respect it. HF is an enterprise in which many respected individuals have invested time and money, and they have a responsibility to protect that investment.

No complaints here.

I'm just glad that HC exists as a DMZ where I can actually discover if the inside of a $500 amp is just three pennies soldered to a battery before I buy it.

You would not believe the shit that gets passed off as roses over there. Well, I guess you probably would.

The finish is called solderbrite. The boards are still layed out by hand as evidenced the parallel traces not being parallel. Audio Research still does a lot of their stuff this way. The finish lasts no more than about 10 years before corrosion starts to cause trouble.

Did you mean Audio Research uses solderbrite boards, or lays their PCBs out by hand? In my admittedly limited experience with Audio Research products I have observed them to be suitably tank-like. I have never opened up an AR product, nor would I know what to look for on the PCB. I can't imagine AR using a PCB process that corrodes after a decade, especially given the operating temperatures of most of their kit.

Did you mean Audio Research uses solderbrite boards, or lays their PCBs out by hand?

Potentially both. Google "audio research pcb" and you'll find plenty of pictures. Their boards certainly don't appear to have any mask on them but the layouts look a lot better than Rudi's stuff. As to the life span question, I don't have enough experience to say whether or not there's an issue there.