W11jpn & L3000, redundant to own both?

wrecked_porsche

Hi guys, any of you own both? Or have you heard them side by side in a good setup? I currently have the W11jpn, and I am 100% sure of owning the L3000 in the near future (couple of months time). The thing is, I kinda have my eyes on something right now and I was wondering if I should sell the W11jpn to finance that purchase since I'm gonna need some quick $.

To rephrase, is the L3000 different enough from the W11jpn to justify owning them both? Any of you miss owning the W11jpn after getting a pair of L3000?

I'm generally happy with the W11jpn, but it could use a tad more punch and speed in the bass dept. and a little more detail won't hurt either. As noted below, this is probably an amp issue.

Reasons why I'm 50-50 on this and can't make up my mind:

-My amps are less than stellar(iBasso D1 and microshar u107), would love to hear the W11jpn in a good setup

-PITA to track a W11jpn down again once I let mine go... :palm:

-Sometimes I enjoy my ES7 more than the W11jpn, the ES7 is livelier and punchier.

-I'm working on getting the headphones that I want first, then I'll address the issue of getting proper amps, so... :angel:

Its 5am here, so I apologize in advance if my post is not coherent. I'll clarify anything that needs clarifying once I get some sleep. Thanks in advance for the input guys. Much appreciated.

I think Iron_Dreamer probably has one of the best sets of ears around here, and he can also put his thoughts into words very well. That's a rare combination and very valuable to readers.

I own both, so I don't think it's redundant for me. But I think it would be redundant for most people.

I also think the OP should stop obsessing with the L3000, get a better source and later maybe a better amp, and enjoy the W11JPN. :P

Hi guys, any of you own both? Or have you heard them side by side in a good setup? I currently have the W11jpn, and I am 100% sure of owning the L3000 in the near future (couple of months time). The thing is, I kinda have my eyes on something right now and I was wondering if I should sell the W11jpn to finance that purchase since I'm gonna need some quick $.

To rephrase, is the L3000 different enough from the W11jpn to justify owning them both? Any of you miss owning the W11jpn after getting a pair of L3000?

I'm generally happy with the W11jpn, but it could use a tad more punch and speed in the bass dept. and a little more detail won't hurt either. As noted below, this is probably an amp issue.

Reasons why I'm 50-50 on this and can't make up my mind:

-My amps are less than stellar(iBasso D1 and microshar u107), would love to hear the W11jpn in a good setup

-PITA to track a W11jpn down again once I let mine go... :palm:

-Sometimes I enjoy my ES7 more than the W11jpn, the ES7 is livelier and punchier.

-I'm working on getting the headphones that I want first, then I'll address the issue of getting proper amps, so... :angel:

Its 5am here, so I apologize in advance if my post is not coherent. I'll clarify anything that needs clarifying once I get some sleep. Thanks in advance for the input guys. Much appreciated.

I have tried both of them with the HA2002, DHA3000 and the L3000 is noticably more superior to my ears. I would suggest you go for the L3000 and spend the money on much better amp. The W11JPN is nice but clearly is not the same class as the L3000. I owned the W11JPN three times actually.

You do need a better setup to get what either one is capable of. However, I would say the L3000 improves over the W11JPN in the areas you cited. I do think they would be redundant to own, or at least listen to (just keep the JPN in a display case), because the L3000 does what the JPN does well and more. Some might claim that because the L3000 is a better overall performer, the midrange is not as prominent as with the JPN (though I'd say it's every bit as good).

You do need a better setup to get what either one is capable of. However, I would say the L3000 improves over the W11JPN in the areas you cited. I do think they would be redundant to own, or at least listen to (just keep the JPN in a display case), because the L3000 does what the JPN does well and more. Some might claim that because the L3000 is a better overall performer, the midrange is not as prominent as with the JPN (though I'd say it's every bit as good).

I don't know the W11JPN, never heard them, but I must agree about the L3000's midrange, it's excellent. It always surprised me that most people speaking about these cans, just tell about their bass, not their fluent and natural mids.

I think Iron_Dreamer probably has one of the best sets of ears around here, and he can also put his thoughts into words very well. That's a rare combination and very valuable to readers.

I own both, so I don't think it's redundant for me. But I think it would be redundant for most people.

I also think the OP should stop obsessing with the L3000, get a better source and later maybe a better amp, and enjoy the W11JPN. :P

I pinged Peter because in addition to having really good ears, he went from a JPN to the L3000. So I knew he had lots of experience with both.

I have tried both of them with the HA2002, DHA3000 and the L3000 is noticably more superior to my ears. I would suggest you go for the L3000 and spend the money on much better amp. The W11JPN is nice but clearly is not the same class as the L3000. I owned the W11JPN three times actually.

I don't know. It sounds like you're kind of wishy-washy. ;)

Thanks for justifying my pinging you. :P

@guzziguy, thanks for pointing out this thread to Iron_Dreamer. :)

To the rest of you, thank you for the input. I can't afford to have both the W11jpn and L3000, so I guess I'll probably have to let the W11jpn go. :(

Its comforting to know that the L3000 does indeed improve in the areas where I feel the W11jpn is weak. Regarding the source and amp, yes they will be upgraded further down the road, but I'm doing this one step at a time due to lack of funds. I see the L3000 as my be all end all dynamic headphone and I want to build a system around it. I'm in love with the AT sound sig, especially the ones which I believe have a similar sound... ES7, ESW9, W10vtg, W11jpn and L3000. I've tried many of the other brands, they just don't make the cut for me. AT sound sig is what I'm after. :D

I know I'm gonna regret letting the W11jpn go... they are not that easy to come by at all. But until I win the lottery, I cannot afford to keep two similar sounding expensive cans such as the W11jpn and L3000.

The W11jpn is worth keeping just based on its good looks alone. Its simply stunning to look at but is a PITA to handle due to its glossy surface... :P

Damn, I'm gonna miss my W11jpns... :(

I know I'm gonna regret letting the W11jpn go... they are not that easy to come by at all. But until I win the lottery, I cannot afford to keep two similar sounding expensive cans such as the W11jpn and L3000.

Been there, done that. I honestly don't miss the JPN at all. The L3000 is better built, more comfortable, and just as handsome in its' own way. Both are rare, so to have either one is a bit lucky these days. The only other AT woody I've heard that I can think of a good reason to own along with the L3000 is the W5000 as it has quite a different sound. If you have a chance to get an L3000, by all means take it, because the next chance might be much more expensive, if it happens at all.

Been there, done that. I honestly don't miss the JPN at all. The L3000 is better built, more comfortable, and just as handsome in its' own way. Both are rare, so to have either one is a bit lucky these days. The only other AT woody I've heard that I can think of a good reason to own along with the L3000 is the W5000 as it has quite a different sound. If you have a chance to get an L3000, by all means take it, because the next chance might be much more expensive, if it happens at all.

The L3000 is pretty impressive indeed. Not to mention that for the current going price, the L3000 is much better built, sound better to my ears, and more luxurious and more comfortable than the PS-1 to boot. Has the L3000's price reached 3k?

I think you should forget the L3000. The phone is not really worth at its price

I owned the L3000 and ATH-W5000 at the same time in the past.And I can tell you that if I want to buy audio technica headphone again, I will only buy the ATH-W5000

why? ATH-W5000 sounds almost the same as the L3000, but it has larger soundstage and detailer. The only thing that L3000 win (not a really huge gap, L3000 : 9 then W5000: 8) is the sweet midrange. However, you will suffer high pitch of singer's voice if you hear at loud volume (the phone only becomes special at loud volume)

Been there, done that. I honestly don't miss the JPN at all. The L3000 is better built, more comfortable, and just as handsome in its' own way.

:prettyprincess:

If you have a chance to get an L3000, by all means take it, because the next chance might be much more expensive, if it happens at all.

:D I got that covered.. I think... ;)

Just need a couple more months... :eek:

I think you should forget the L3000. The phone is not really worth at its price

I owned the L3000 and ATH-W5000 at the same time in the past.And I can tell you that if I want to buy audio technica headphone again, I will only buy the ATH-W5000

I really don't think the W5000 will be my cup of tea. I also tried the AD2000 and did not like it at all. Sounded too shouty at times. I really love the W11jpn sound and from what the guys have been saying here and over at the other forum, I'm fairly convinced that the L3000 is the way to go for ME.

The W5k does not interest me in any way at all. I like my music smoov, weighty, meaty and thick with a nice side serving of body and slam. :P

However, you will suffer high pitch of singer's voice if you hear at loud volume (the phone only becomes special at loud volume)

You're talking about the W5k here right? See, that's exactly what I DON'T need. I don't want something that is bordering on being strident/harsh/shouty. The few ATs that i like I believe has the best of both worlds, they are not too energetic nor are they too laid back. They are smoov and are just nice for my ears. ;)

Thank you for your input and warning about the shouty singer's voice though.

To those W11JPN owners, what type of amps are you using? Any SS amp recommendations at/close to $1,000?

Thanks! :)

If you can find one, get the Audio-Technica HA2002. This amp was made to drive the W2002 but also does an excellent job with the W11JPN. I've had great results with the W11JPN + HA2002. Plus the HA2002 also sports the same lacquer finish.

If you can find one, get the Audio-Technica HA2002. This amp was made to drive the W2002 but also does an excellent job with the W11JPN. I've had great results with the W11JPN + HA2002. Plus the HA2002 also sports the same lacquer finish.

What's the going rate for a HA2002?

From my understanding, this amp will be well above the $1,000 mark, which is already pushing the envelope for me.

Thanks for the reply. :D

You don't need an ha2002 for a jpn to sound good. It's just the only amp that can make the horrid thing that is the w2002 sound good.

I'd be willing to bet a gilmore lite would make jpns shine. Mine sounded good with everything i tried them on.

You don't need an ha2002 for a jpn to sound good. It's just the only amp that can make the horrid thing that is the w2002 sound good.

I'd be willing to bet a gilmore lite would make jpns shine. Mine sounded good with everything i tried them on.

Thanks. I know this is a little off topic, and I hope the OP doesn't mind, but since there is very little info about what amps are being used with this headphone, I figured I'd ask in this specific thread. If the OP does mind, please just PM me and I'll edit my replies and start a new thread.

I was seriously considering the GS-1. But with very little info on these phones, I wasn't sure.

Any other recommendations?

Don't worry about it. I don't mind.

I've already got the info that I needed from this thread (thanks guys).

My W11jpns will be leaving me. :(

L3000 it is for me. :D

About the amp choices, yeah I think grawk is right. I also think the gilmore lite would be a good match. I'd also have to agree with him that the W11jpn tends to sound good no matter where its plugged in. :prettyprincess:

Also, FWIW, IME the W11jpns were more responsive to a better source as compared to a better amp.

Don't worry about it. I don't mind.

I've already got the info that I needed from this thread (thanks guys).

My W11jpns will be leaving me. :(

L3000 it is for me. :D

About the amp choices, yeah I think grawk is right. I also think the gilmore lite would be a good match. I'd also have to agree with him that the W11jpn tends to sound good no matter where its plugged in. :prettyprincess:

Also, FWIW, IME the W11jpns were more responsive to a better source as compared to a better amp.

Thanks, and thanks for the info. :)

What's the going rate for a HA2002?

From my understanding, this amp will be well above the $1,000 mark, which is already pushing the envelope for me.

Thanks for the reply. :D

i bought one for less than 900 usd awhile back. i tried this amp w/ my w2002, w11jpn, w10vtg, and l3000 w/ great results. the ha2002 seem to work better w/ lower imp headphones, however. you might want to pm agile_one as well b/c he also own both the l3000, w11jpn, w2002, as well as the ha2002.