How to deal with extreme lowball offers on Craigslist?

MrSlacker

So I put up my cellphone for sale on craigslist and these lowball offers are just pissing me off. My asking price is $350 and people are emailing me with $250 and even $150! I want to tell them to just go fuck themselves, but may be I should waste some of their time as payback? What do YOU usually do in these situations?

That's like quoting the MSRP for a car/truck from the big 3, meaningless.

i gotta disagree with you Nate. MSRP on it is $550 and thats how much it costs everywhere unless you sign up for a contract. So if a person doesn't want to pay $550, they can buy mine for $350. I also did research on eBay and CL for prices and $350 seems to be the going rate for them.

I consider anything not purchased at a retail store used.

No warranty, open box = used.

Sorry MrSlacker but I have to agree with what LFF said. Also it is what to be expected on Craigslist with lowball offers. When I place an ad there I expect to have lowball offers. It's a free service, it costs you nothing to place an ad. I would just ignore folks. If you don't want to deal with lowball offers then do what others recommended and just place it on Ebay with buy it now and a high minimum if you want to get close to a minimum. That is what I do when I dont' want to deal with lowball offers. Wishing you the best on selling your phone :)

First, don't take it personally. Second, I would just reply with "my lowest price at this point would be XXX, thanks!"

I've gotten low ball offers on items, and after sending my message with my lowest, I've sold stuff. Sometimes an offer on your low limit can be the start of a negotiation. In general, it all depends on how patient you are or if the party is truly interested. Also it depends on how abundant the item is in the market.