More control over Mac volume

Hmm, that is cool. I do wish that you could just set it so that the fine adjustment level was the default setting so that it didn't take two hands to change the volume.

x2. It's the little things like that which prevent me from preferring MacOS over Linux, but I'm terribly biased, I admit. With Linux, I could change an option like that.

How can you possibly make an argument that Linux has worse hardware support than Mac? Mac has to support all of about 50 configurations. There's a lot of things Linux is bad at, but surely hardware support isn't one of them.

And how does POSIX compliance have anything to do with an OS user experience?

From an experience stand point, the Mac OS just works. That is for sure. There is no fucking around with simple things. But then again, most of that experience can be had from Windows.

Meh I didn't mean to start an argument. I didn't even take a real jab at Mac, but the fanboys of course come swoopng in to snipe my choice. I gave both a chance. For general shit, I use my Mac. To get work done, I use RHEL5 or Fedora. Different taks, different solutions.

Are you suggesting you get more real work done on computers than I do? Because, you know, linux is the toy, and mac os is the real world gotta work os.

Linux may support MORE hardware, but it doesn't support any of it as well...

I don't believe that I ever said I do MORE work than you do, but he same argument can be said the other way around. I don't knwo how much work you do, the same way you don't know how much I do. The TYPE of work done is also important: I wouldn't dare to the same kernel development I do for Linux on a Mac machine. For one, its not possible.

As far a a toy goes, that may be your view. I respect that. I also tend to not make sweeping generalizations about something I haven't given a good chance. We preach the same thing about gear.

And comparing Linux hardware compatibility to Mac is apples and oranges. Linux will support far more hardware, but Mac only has to support a handful. If it didn't do it better, I'd be concerned about its longevity in the market.

You certainly can, darwin is open, you can do all you want.

I didn't say "more work" I said "more real work"...

Anyway, I'm not aware of any audio products that work better under linux than mac. I am aware of a couple that only work on mac, tho.

Darwin does not make up for software like Fuse, which does not exist on a Mac platform. Great for rapid filesystem development.

The second part of my work is done in Cadence. Again, not on Mac.

Third is proprietary software, which I certainly can't fault Mac for not supporting, as it was developed for Linux.

But all moot points. I use what works best for me.

I haven't had enough exposure to audio on the Mac, but iPod support is much easier than in Fedora ;)

Security research on a Mac simply sucks. Finding bugs on Macs is like a walk in the park. Believe it or not, it's harder to find reliable bugs on Windows platforms these days. Nobody cares about attacking Macs, target audience is just too small. I was controlling a 100,000 member bot net just last week.. I don't even know if that many Macs exist.

so? so am i, i still really love gifts, both giving and receiving.
List of people on this forum who have received a Christmas gift from Dusty:

...or even a card:

...how about a thought?

PS The atheist/Christmas comment was based on a news story I heard on the way in to work this morning about an ad that they're going to start putting on the local subway ("Metro"). I believe it's something like this.

Edited by Dusty Chalk