What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrangement? It was originally written for the piano.

It is easily my favorite piano piece (or, more correctly, "suite of pieces") of all time.

Her rendition is quite good so far (I've gotten just past the Old Castle), if you want a cheap entry point into the solo piano version. EDIT: Oh jesus, I just got to the Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks/Ballet of the Chicks in their Shells, this version is wonderful. EDIT #2: Okay, she doesn't do a perfect job of keeping time, but it's still quite good, and it's a modern recording so there's that.

Nothing will ever match the power and pomp of a full orchestra, Ravel really did a wonderful job on that, so you kind of have to get past that to appreciate the piano version. I'm a pianist, so it wasn't difficult for me at all (to get past that as a listener). It certainly helps that I'm predisposed towards loving the sound of solo piano. That said, this has probably more dynamic range than any other piano piece I know.

I also have to admit to having "grown up" with the Philips silver line version, which has both versions on one CD.

I've actually been tempted to learn it, myself.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

It's certainly worth reading about, if you love it anywhere near as much as I do.

I don't listen to it terribly frequently, but I did make a note on the iTunes file as to when the Great Gate of Kiev started... quite epic, but I imagine it'd be even moreso if I heard Cleveland Orchestra perform it in Severance Hall.

I'm thinking you should probably hear either the Byron Janis version or one of the Vladimiar Ashkenazy performances. I have yet to hear the Kempf myself, but it's widely praised.

EDIT: The version on the Philips Silver Line version was played by Alfred Brendel, so I'd recommend that one, too.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Club 8 - The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Dreaming

- If you like Saint Etienne or the Cardigans then you may like this. Check it out :)

41262ej3kzL._SS500_.jpg

I'm gonna have to check it out. I love the cardigans!

As for me, I gave up on Dylan and moved on to the beach boys discography/solo albums.

My favourite songs for now.

Masterplan - When Love Comes Close

Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes

Dark Moor - Lovers

Dark Moor - Memories

Angra - Acid Rain

Vision Divine - Of Light and Darkness

Chicago - Hard To Say I'm Sorry

Elisa - Rock Your Soul

I'm thinking you should probably hear either the Byron Janis version or one of the Vladimiar Ashkenazy performances. I have yet to hear the Kempf myself, but it's widely praised.

EDIT: The version on the Philips Silver Line version was played by Alfred Brendel, so I'd recommend that one, too.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll add these to my music wishlist.

EDIT: Is this the Philips Silver Line? Is there any other, more regular place to acquire a copy?