What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

No offense against (most) Arcade Fire fans, but you have to admit their stuff is hyped to an incredible point by journalists and bloggers. You feel they're the reincarnation of Beethoven when you read reviews of their albums, while in reality what they do is quite basic rock.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trombone Shorty? sounds like a smooth jazz name.

I think it is a cool nickname and it came from his playing in NOLA as a youngster. Here is the first paragraph of his bio on his website and it is pretentious but the music is anything but smooth jazz:

Troy 'Trombone Shorty' Andrews' new album, Backatown (Verve Forecast April 20), is the work of a rare artist who can draw both the unqualified respect of jazz legends and deliver a high-energy rock show capable of mesmerizing international rock stars and audiences alike. With such an unprecedented mix of rock, funk, jazz, hip-hop and soul, he had to create his own name to describe his signature sound: Supafunkrock! Andrews is the kind of player who comes along maybe once in a generation, and Backatown is the latest, clearest proof that his artistry is as singular as his raw talent.

i'm listening to Billy Joel's The Longest Time on repeat. i love this song. does anybody have suggestions on Doo Wop? i have a text book understanding of doo wop, but it's a little early 20th even for me.

IMO The Drifters (The Ben E. King era, late 50's early 60's) is pretty much classic doo wop. Actually, all incarnations of The Drifters is classic doo wop, but I like this one the best.