CNET's Greatest Headphones

naamanf

I believe Steve Guttenberg is a headfier, FWIW.

Hey, it's a start...I do remember seeing the grado rs-1's in maxim's top recommended gifts one year. I also remember seeing the ATH l3000's on cnet at some point in time.

When you look at the current stock of top of the line cans that are still in production, I think Steve for the most part got it right. However, I think that speaks of a broader issue of the state of can-dom that the top 3 to represent the best of headphone current production are those 3.

I would have loved to see some Stax too, but we've got to admit they're not really "plug & play" headphones. I think the listed headphones make sense considering the CNET crowd and they're all generally well-respected cans by the average head-fier. I have listened to the D5000 at a meet and they were really not my type, but I have no idea about the other two.

$480? i think the GS-1000s are definitely worth $480. they sound pretty good with flat pads :)

For $480 I would've probably picked them up and I agree that they are worth it at that price for sure.

I thought the CNET article was okay for production cans and like Postjack mentioned I thought it was going to be worse.

I disagree, they're plug'n'play if you buy a system (earspeaker/amp combo).

I know, but try to explain that to a normal CNET customer. What I meant by "plug & play" is that the phones can't be plugged directly into an iPod which is probably the main criteria for the MP3 crowd. Anyway, you knew what meant. ;)