A horrible quest begins

Mercuttio

Just keep watching eBay and the like. There were once a pair posted that the owner didn't even specify that they were Grados -- he just called them "retro headphones" or something. They were like NOS. Unfortunately, they'll probably be posted on Head-Fi like that.

I'd entertain south of $1,500...but admittedly not by much. You got a sister? Perhaps we could work something out.

Do you even know what they sound like? Their sound is not for everyone.

Or just by a lot of stock now, while the economy is bottomed out. You should be able to afford a pair in a year or four.

Just keep watching eBay and the like. There were once a pair posted that the owner didn't even specify that they were Grados -- he just called them "retro headphones" or something. They were like NOS. Unfortunately, they'll probably be posted on Head-Fi like that.

I'd entertain south of $1,500...but admittedly not by much. You got a sister? Perhaps we could work something out.

Do you even know what they sound like? Their sound is not for everyone.

Or just by a lot of stock now, while the economy is bottomed out. You should be able to afford a pair in a year or four.

Heh, yeah. I had jjcha's pair for a few months a couple of years ago. In the future, I'm debating ditching my K701 (which sounds about like I remember it, I was hoping my ears would be more pleased) and going for another high end Grado.

No GS1000 this time. That's for sure. I'm also not 100% sure I'll even have the funds to go for a big gun... but... maybe.

i think that I read something dubious about the seller but here is a pair for under 1500

grado hp2 headphone with latest standard cable - eBay (item 320327310250 end time Jan-23-09 04:08:39 PST)

He's much worse than dubious. Search HF for threads containing waddragon and it will soon become obvious. I wouldn't trust him further than I could toss him.

I don't like wadragon either but he has never been accused of failing to deliver on a deal. Quite the contrary, he closes and completes way too many deals. I could even pick them up for you and make sure they were the real deal if you are that sure you want HP2s on the eve of the release of the greatest headphone evar! :D

I don't like wadragon either but he has never been accused of failing to deliver on a deal. Quite the contrary, he closes and completes way too many deals. I could even pick them up for you and make sure they were the real deal if you are that sure you want HP2s on the eve of the release of the greatest headphone evar! :D

Haha, I think plenty of people are more than willing to go and "meet" this guy in person. I've heard about this fella faking feedback though. And, the way he operates, I wouldn't put it past him to pocket the cash and "ditch" an account somewhere. As his options for sale are cut off, I'd imagine he's getting more desperate.

And really, the HD800 doesn't interest me much. I've been in on way too many hyped up headphone releases. My ears know what they like, and they like the RS1 and HP2. In hall honesty, I see myself ending up with another RS1 before an HP2. I will most likely hunt for a vintage RS1 though, or one with buttons at least. The wood on the newer RS1 looks... sickly.

Unless someone has a better picture of it than the ones on Headroom that proves otherwise.

The problem there being that you'll pay almost as much for a set of vintage RS-1s. Incredibly, I know, but they've been selling for ~$1000 or more.

Not if I burn Sound by Singer to the ground and take their RS1 from the ashes.

I'm of course assuming that vintage RS1 are flame retardant. I don't think I'm wrong here.

And really, the HD800 doesn't interest me much. I've been in on way too many hyped up headphone releases. My ears know what they like, and they like the RS1 and HP2. In hall honesty, I see myself ending up with another RS1 before an HP2. I will most likely hunt for a vintage RS1 though, or one with buttons at least. The wood on the newer RS1 looks... sickly.

Unless someone has a better picture of it than the ones on Headroom that proves otherwise.

That's why I suggested that you listen to it and decide for yourself. Deciding that you won't like a headphone without hearing it is not very different from deciding that it's great without hearing it. Try to give it a listen. The results may surprise you.

It's funny, I don't like the RS1 very much. I find it's treble to be "piercing". This was from listening to jp#'s vintage RS1 being driven by a top-notch source and amp. After listening to that, I figured I must hate the Grado sound. Then I tried an HP1 at a meet. What a difference! I really liked them. I've since tried HP2 and PS1 phones. Now I know that it's the John Grado sound I don't like. My main headphone now is an HP2. I'm sure glad I tried the HP1. ;D

Not if I burn Sound by Singer to the ground and take their RS1 from the ashes.

I'm of course assuming that vintage RS1 are flame retardant. I don't think I'm wrong here.

Hmmm, well if you're going that route I have long list of things I'd like from there...let's talk.

However I'd just walk out with them...have you seen how fat he's gotten? He'd never catch you.

That's why I suggested that you listen to it and decide for yourself. Deciding that you won't like a headphone without hearing it is not very different from deciding that it's great without hearing it. Try to give it a listen. The results may surprise you.

It's funny, I don't like the RS1 very much. I find it's treble to be "piercing". This was from listening to jp#'s vintage RS1 being driven by a top-notch source and amp. After listening to that, I figured I must hate the Grado sound. Then I tried an HP1 at a meet. What a difference! I really liked them. I've since tried HP2 and PS1 phones. Now I know that it's the John Grado sound I don't like. My main headphone now is an HP2. I'm sure glad I tried the HP1. ;D

The RS1 was sort of perfection for me. Even to a degree in direct comparison to the HP2, I liked the RS1 just a little better. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll get an RS1 and be done with it. It took me years to figure out what my "favorite headphone" was and I suppose I should go back to it sometime.

And definitely, with bowls the treble is piercing.

Which is why for some reason I've kept this pair of genuine Grado flats in my closet... what a shameful secret...