Luxman P1 vs Headamp GSX

Aimless1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

04.jpg

This is the largest one I've found. It's quite clear though that there is a lot of wires entering the transformer on the right. That means the amp should be easily configured for 120v and 230v use.

So, does this mean that as easily as a few snips, that is all that is needed to make this amp playable with US 120V?

• 1 month later...

Yes that would be interesting to know. The P-200 does not have balanced inputs as far as I can tell from pre production unit pics. Not sure what balanced would do for you in as there are no balanced outs for balanced cans. My "reference" big rig with speakers is balanced all the way to the power amp. Doubt I would be able to tell the difference if I changed it all back to SE. Too much trouble to find out.

I sent OAHN an email regarding the P-1 and the P-200. Philip said:

"While the P-1 was recently discontinued, as Luxman were unable to source the parts to continue manufacturing. We are expecting deliveries later next month on a more inexpensive model the P-200, which is also a Class A design and delivery 80- 85% of the performance of the P-1 at about 60% of the cost."

Audio Cubes II still shows the P-1 as being available. (?)

Yes that would be interesting to know. The P-200 does not have balanced inputs as far as I can tell from pre production unit pics. Not sure what balanced would do for you in as there are no balanced outs for balanced cans. My "reference" big rig with speakers is balanced all the way to the power amp. Doubt I would be able to tell the difference if I changed it all back to SE. Too much trouble to find out.

"While the P-1 was recently discontinued, as Luxman were unable to source the parts to continue manufacturing. We are expecting deliveries later next month on a more inexpensive model the P-200, which is also a Class A design and delivery 80- 85% of the performance of the P-1 at about 60% of the cost."

Audio Cubes has the non-American version. That's why. :)

Actually, I don't even know if that version will continue to be in production either... Hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...
Quite right. Euphonic it is, but to me it actually isn't euphonic it's annoying :) The P1 is not tubey it fast and details there is just something that I generally describe as "fun" about it that is not present in the GS-X, reminds me a bit of the R10s.

I'm not into headphone setups for that "fun" sound I want exactness more but that's me.

Well said.

The option I like is to have a fairly neutral amp (β22) and source, and then if I want a euphonic flavor now and then, that can be accomplished with a euphonic headphone. The modded Orthodynamics fit the bill there for me, and there are times when I do like that flavor.

Though I've yet to hear the combination, I assume that the β22/K1000 combo will be quite neutral for most of my listening tastes.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot that I can test this now with the BelCanto Dac3. I'll have to do some testing with the balanced side of the P-1 to see if it sounds better.

Please advise on the balanced input test. Word on the street is the P-1 will be available again this year. I don't think the P-200 has even started shipping yet. The thing that is killing me is that AQII price for a P-1 is same as USA price for a P-200. The P-1 sure looks a lot more like a reference piece that than the P200.