Upgrade from Quad 12L

falkon

I think I'm growing out of my Quad 12L Actives. Lately, as my tastes moves further into jazz, I find that they are fatiguing in the highs and are lacking in bass and bass extension.

I'm looking for speakers <$800 that will be easily upgradable in the future. I'm thinking either floorstanders or monitors+sub combo and I'm willing to go used. Unfortunately, I'm a grad student so I won't be in a room with larger than 12'x12' anytime soon so factor that in. I'm leaning toward passives since I will have more choices in the future to upgrade. The price does not include an amp.

What do you guys think?

What do you mean by upgradeable speakers?

Just disregard that. I think I covered it when I mentioned that I wanna go passive.

turn that < around and get harbeths.

I would love do that. If only the stands for the harbeths alone didn't max out my price range.

:doghuh:

The 12L actives have an XLR input on the back so my guess is that he's running them with a balanced preamp. Most subs want a single-ended signal so the cabling of such an arrangement could get complicated. At least, that's the only logical thing I can come up with.

The 12L actives have an XLR input on the back so my guess is that he's running them with a balanced preamp. Most subs want a single-ended signal so the cabling of such an arrangement could get complicated. At least, that's the only logical thing I can come up with.

Ok, makes sense. I would agree that it's not plug-and-play, but it is certainly doable. But yeah, passive would probably make things easier.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like there's not too many recommendations. Realistically, could I get away with large floorstanders if I'm listening from 6ft away? Something like Monitor Audio RS6.

Alright, I will stop being a jerk and suggest that your budget is restrictive and we don't know your associated gear. It might help to know the amp/pre and the source but really the amp would be most helpful I think. I also don't know those Monitor Audio speakers but they don't look bad.

As for off the top suggestions, there are some great deals from System Audio available and tyrion really likes his Rangers. Agon has a pair of 1730s for $775 right now. There is also a very cool pair of Omega Grand 8 with ports for $750. Those would be nice in your arrangement. Another pair are Epos M22s and those would be very nice.

Good luck.

In your price range about the only thing I have to suggest is something along the lines of the Paradigm Monitor 7's that I use in my Home Theater. I originally bought them for a 2-channel audio setup and liked them for straight music very much. They are full range enough that they do not require a sub. I can in no way vouch for them sounding better than the quads since I haven't heard any of them.

I asked a guy over at SH who owns both the 22L (not 12L, same family though) and MMG to compare the two, and he said the biggest difference was the MMG's huge soundstage. He opted to keep the MMG.

Yeah, but Barry Diament has brain washed a good few over there :laugh:

Shit son I can often times be found sleep talking about buying Outlaw Audio amps and Hip Joints

Those maggies look interesting (also the Omegas). Any idea how they compare to Quad 12L's? I'm considering an upgrade, also.
From my admittedly brief audition of the Maggies (in store, sub-optimal environment, but very well set up) -- they both have an exquisite midrange (the Maggies may have this by a hair), but the 12L's have better dynamics -- I.E. even with as tiny as they are, they handle going louder better.

Yeah, but Barry Diament has brain washed a good few over there :laugh:

Shit son I can often times be found sleep talking about buying Outlaw Audio amps and Hip Joints

Sorry, the MMG simply doesn't have a huge sound stage. If you're looking for a huge sound stage, try the Vandersteen 2ce signatures.

Right on.