My mini3 left channel is dead

Smeggy

Hmm, I never thought to check the tubes....

I tried it with a few phones and a different mini-mini just to make sure, it's definitely something inside. :(

Anyway, I have to go get some stuff before I start so wish me luck... the asshat is about to prep for surgery :palm:

Marshall is sending a new opamp and some magical stuff to remove the old one. Let's hope I don't fry its ass during the operation... :D

removing SMD opamps isn't my idea of a fun night ... I'd recommend clipping all the legs off, basically destroying the old opamp, then use flux on the area and finally solder wick to pull the old legs off.

Gary,

I'm not sure I'd even try to remove the opamp intact. Just cut the little bugger off and then take your time removing the remnants of the legs.

Marshall is sending some special stuff that's supposed to melt the solder and keep it hot long enough to remove the chip in one piece so I'll see how well that goes before getting the clippers out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I piggyback on this thread to ask a general mini3 question, please?

I just ordered a gamma lite/mini3 combo from Marshall for a friend. He'll be using it in a static computer rig with The Monkey's old HD-25-1s to start with and who knows what else down the road once the bug bites. ;)

What gain setting should I specify?

• 2 weeks later...