Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Wes, that's pretty damn shady, especially if they didn't mention the policy before you sent the dac in. I can understand why you won't go after them about it as I can imagine the shitstorm that could follow, but I appreciate you letting us know.

Is there something in particular you are trying to set?

Well just knowing if my audio settings are right? For example in Digital Output settings, there's a tab Supported Formats>Sample Rates, all enhancements are disabled, there's also another tab that says "Advanced" and you have the option to select the default format(2ch, 24bit, 44100Hz is what I have it set at)

And in foobar 2000, well there's a lot of options there, I followed the ones mentioned on the Ayre guide, but just wondering if they were ok or not.

Also not sure if it matters, but I'm using toslink to connect the dac to the computer

Another quick question, I've been talking with the gentleman from Signalcable(excellent customer service btw...) He asked me which type of balanced output the DAC uses in order to make the interconnects.

http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/docs/Audio_and_Video_Cable+Connector_Wiring_Diagrams_for_DIY_purposes.pdf Should I tell him it's the one in Fig.3?

Well just knowing if my audio settings are right? For example in Digital Output settings, there's a tab Supported Formats>Sample Rates, all enhancements are disabled, there's also another tab that says "Advanced" and you have the option to select the default format(2ch, 24bit, 44100Hz is what I have it set at)

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with foobar, but the Ayre page makes sense to me and I'm sure they know what they're doing. I believe their goal is to get an unmodified digital signal out to the DAC. foobar lets you perform some signal processing before outputting it, so disabling pretty much everything would match the goal stated on the Ayre page. It sounds to me like you have everything set correctly.

Another quick question, I've been talking with the gentleman from Signalcable(excellent customer service btw...) He asked me which type of balanced output the DAC uses in order to make the interconnects.

http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/docs/Audio_and_Video_Cable+Connector_Wiring_Diagrams_for_DIY_purposes.pdf Should I tell him it's the one in Fig.3?

Figure 3 is almost completely correct, except it's not clear to me from the picture if pin 1 is connected to anything except the cable shield. You should tie pin 3 and pin 1 together at the ground/shield portion of the RCA jack on the right-hand side of that figure, if using the cable with the D100.

• 4 weeks later...

mayoski got around to posting his review. I really loved the story about his puppies. :)

"I could go on, but suffice it to say that the D100 provides a window of clarity into it all.... ...close your eyes and you are in the studio with them. The sound stage on this recording is wider and deeper than I have previously heard in my digital system...."

- mayoski (full review)

Also, Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is almost here. Maybe I'll see some of you there, if you deign to venture outside the world of headphones. ;)

• 1 month later...

just wanted to say I currently have the pleasure of auditioning the Neko DAC. I haven't had a bunch of time with it yet, but if I were to describe my impressions in a word: vivid. and without sounding digital. sounds like generic impressions, I know, but it really does sound like a vivid, accurate analog rig. I guess my preconceptions formed from earlier reviews made me think the sound would be soft, but it's not. it's really quite alive and lovely.

• 1 month later...
just wanted to say I currently have the pleasure of auditioning the Neko DAC. I haven't had a bunch of time with it yet, but if I were to describe my impressions in a word: vivid. and without sounding digital. sounds like generic impressions, I know, but it really does sound like a vivid, accurate analog rig. I guess my preconceptions formed from earlier reviews made me think the sound would be soft, but it's not. it's really quite alive and lovely.

I wish I had more source reviewing skillz, because I'd really like to present Wes with a long, well-written review for being given the opportunity to audition his wonderful DAC. But I don't have such uber skills. I will say, in addition to the above, that the Neko DAC is the finest digital to audio converter I've had in my home. In my opinion, to my ears, YMMV, etc, there was something startlingly different about the Neko DAC. So much ease in the presentation, such a rich, full sound. I hesitate to even say warm, because I feel like that gives the impression that the details are glossed over, but they weren't. The full frequency spectrum is represented so vividly, and instruments occupied their space so well, and popped out at me right when they were supposed to. Did I say vivid? Because its the word I keep coming back to.

Vivid, detailed, and with all the notes occupying their space with ease. I really really like what Wes has done here!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Just WOW!

Sonically this DAC sails like a home run ball - hit right out of the park!

It actually gives believable bass to my Stax and K702's.

The instrument separation and clarity is amazing.

No congestion at all when hit with a huge wall of sound passage.

The highs are slightly rolled off, but whats there is as sharp as a ginsu.

I'm a mid-fi kind of guy, so if this is the next step up, I am staying here for a long while.

I've had it with op amp based devices and their distorted sound. This one is a keeper!

• 2 weeks later...

Due to increased manufacturing costs, the D100 Mk2 will be seeing a price increase of $100 effective March 1. The new price, for both XLR and RCA configurations, will be $1495.

We fab and assemble all our units at a manufacturing house in San Jose, California. The packaging and enclosures are sourced locally. Working with a local house allows us to ensure each unit is built to our own highest quality standards. (Someone on a different forum brought up manufacturing overseas to reduce costs, which is why I'm mentioning this. Overseas manufacturing wouldn't be a good idea for me.)

Bummer, Wes, but must be done.......

I've been keeping my eye out for a used one of these, and not surprised they aren't really available.... I saw the demo's on Audiogon, but that's still a little more than I can afford right now.

I'm sure these are worth every penny, though, even with the price increase.