Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

livewire, any further updates?

Hey Monkey,

I just saw your post, Havent been to this thread lately

until Wes posted about the price increase today.

As far as any new sonic revelations, no.

I think I've already gushed about the D100 enough.

What I said intially still stands, it's a keeper.

I tend to like things a little brighter up top,

but this dac performs at 110% in all other aspects.

And I cannot stand etchy op-amp induced highs,

so again this DAC delivers cleanly in this aspect. (no op-amps)

I'm not a boomy bass guy, I like the pronounced, punchy lows the D100 delivers.

Not too up front in that department either, but that is how I like things.

I was able to find one real flaw in the build department.

I move my equipment around a lot, hooking and unhooking.

Packing for travel and unpacking. (as in at meets at friend's places)

Everytime I picked up the D100, it felt and sounded like

there was a couple marbles rolling around insde of the case. O-o!

So I opened it up. I found two ferrite rings bound to the ouput wires

leading to the XLR connectors. These rings were loose, not fastened or glued in place.

They would bob all over the place when the unit was moved. Not good.

Sooner or later this could strain the output wires or worse, short something out.

Anywho, I glued the ferrites to the floor of the case before any damage was done.

Problem solved.

One other thing. This is in the nit-picking category but,

on the right side of the case there is a large, tacky looking product label.

It dont look too pretty while sitting on my audio rack.

I dont want to remove it, but this label would be better off

being placed on the bottom, underneath the case. (no room on the backside)

That's all. I love my Neko. Thanks for askin Monkey.

Edited by livewire

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear it. Too bad about the ferrite issue, though I bet Wes could be of some help there if necessary.

Wes, as for the price increase, it's too bad, but you're certainly not alone. I just got a TTVJ email regarding a substantial Manley increase across the board. Such is life. The Neko DAC is still reasonably priced IMO.

Sorry about the loose ferrite rings.

I'll be the first to admit the safety labels aren't the greatest looking things. They are there for UL compliance. Since they are foil stickers you can peel them off without leaving any glue behind. If you're referring to the product label, I'm not sure if that needed to be on the side instead of the bottom for any reason. Probably not since that info is on the bottom of lots of other equipment. I'll take that under advisement for future builds.

That's the first I'd heard about Manley price increases, but I've seen a few other companies announce price increases recently.

Are there any plans for adding an USB input, Wes?

And as a DAC designer, do you have an opinion regarding the FOTM Sabre ESS9018? Any plans of using it in your DACs?

No plans for either of those right now. Irrespective of the technical merits, I would like it if ESS published information about their algorithm for general public consumption.

Hi. I'm curious...what's the IMD like on the D100. Say, CCIF (19/20, 1:1) and SMPTE (60/7K, 4:1)? Also, how about 20-20KHz THD+N w/ higher BW, say like 80k so we can see the third harmonic above 6.6K?

I'm afraid I don't have 2-tone IMD measurements, and did a multi-tone measurement instead since I was more interested in that one. Unfortunately I don't have the test gear handy to re-run any THD+N measurements. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

Any chances of an overseas round this time?

I really, really want to do one. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make sure it works well and doesn't get abused. Also, if it was say all of Europe, the shipping cost for each person might be a little high?

Any thoughts on this? I'm open to suggestions. Maybe if it was more planned and organized rather than a simple sign-up.

Europe isn't that big, and shipping expenses shouldn't be very high for a relatively small parcel. It'd be required that participants tried to arrange the waiting list in order of proximity to make shipping cost lower. So the parcel could travel from US to UK or Iceland B) then going to the next closer participant.

You'd just need to set the rules, trial term, checking participants identity and good will, etc. Just like you'd do within the US but across the Pond.

That doesn't sound too scary. :)

Any suggestions on verifying identities or what recourse there is if things go awry? I have high trust in many people on this forum as well as a few others, but usually random people sign up. And I've not really done anything like that outside the U.S. and Canada before.

Okay. I'll try to work out things to open up a Europe loaner program and open a round 2 for Canada. I think I would need around 10 sign ups before sending it out to Europe, and 5 for Canada (there's one other person who expressed interest in Canada shortly after the previous Canada program closed--maybe he is still interested). Just roughly guessing. Need not all be from Head-Case, of course; I'll post on AudioCircle as well.

Is there any difference between supporting all of Europe versus just the E.U.? I'm also concerned about people getting hit with import/shipping taxes.

Yep, import taxes are an issue, that's why I think a good entry port could be UK for I have the idea (maybe wrong, so any UK pal may confirm) they have a more relaxed control. Once the device is in EU, no taxes, just shipping cost.

I could give a hand with any Spanish candidate who might be interested. Some people reading this forum are members on the Spanish forum "Auriculares.org", so it's possible I know them.

I've sold units into E.U. countries already. As far as I know, there's no problem as long as the appropriate import procedures are followed. There are probably different procedures to be followed if I have a distribution center or physical presence of some sort in the E.U. I know there are for Canada, for example.

Any information you guys might be able to provide regarding the logistics is very welcome. At the moment, it seems the best course of action is to limit it to the E.U. initially. If people outside the E.U. are interested they will simply have to be prepared to accept any additional fees. I might want to avoid having to deal with that in general though.