Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

Like Tachikoma said, your honesty is refreshing.

Man, I hate crow..... I mean I really hate crow !!!

New arrival from Perotta:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'm going to listen to it with the same laptop, Thingee, M^3 set up, (I used with the Neko), for 2 weeks, before testing it with the two computers and the GS-1. I want to get a feel for how it sounds by itself.....

Much to my surprise, my initial impression is that I might like the Neko better, despite "my big volume balancing revelation".

It's curious that my initial impression of the North Star is that by itself, it doesn't seem to sound like the Neko or the Stello, even though I found out they sound the same.

I don't know what's up with the psycho-acoustic aspect of this hobby, it's baffling...

Who knows, by the time this is over maybe I'll learn to like crow. ;D

USG

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Neko can be hard to compare to other DAC's without volume matching. The passive output stage can make it a lot quieter than units with a hotter output. Plus it is one of those components that does not wow on first listen and requires some extended listening to really get a feel for how it performs. Notice, I am being completely uninformative as to my opinion as I feel I need to listen to it more.

Enjoy the Music.com has published a review of the Neko Audio D100 in their July 2009 issue. :D

I think this is one of the best parts: "One of two things are in play here: either the D100 is correct and the active tube output stage in the Havana is adding coloration to the music, or the D100 is shortchanging the harmonics."

Nels Ferre was the reviewer, and he did comparisons against the KECES DA-131 and MHDT Labs Havana.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to announce the Neko Audio D100 loaner program. Basically, this lets you sign up to audition the D100 in your own home without making a purchase. What's better than that? ;D

There are two programs in operation, one for U.S. residents and one for Canadian residents. Click the links for more detail.

U.S. Loaner Program

Canada Loaner Program

I'm happy to announce the Neko Audio D100 loaner program. Basically, this lets you sign up to audition the D100 in your own home without making a purchase. What's better than that? ;D

There are two programs in operation, one for U.S. residents and one for Canadian residents. Click the links for more detail.

U.S. Loaner Program

Canada Loaner Program

Hi, you might want to be more restrictive with the way your loaner program works. Todd at TTVJ has been doing a similar loaner program with some products and I've read of instances where some people have taken advantage of it to steal the products. I don't know what kind of restrictions to suggest though. I ran my own loaner program on Head-Fi back in 2007 which turned out ok, but then I only subjectively chose people who had good feedback, lots of posts, long-time membership, etc. Not to take anything away from your loaner program of course, I think it's a great idea, but as-is it's a little too open for someone to potentially steal a D100.

I guess since you're a manufacturer, it probably wouldn't be out of line to require a credit card that you could charge, and then reverse the charge after the trial period.

No loaner for EU residents? I know of some people over here that would enjoy listening to it :P

Unfortunately no. I still don't have a unit that will work for 220V 50Hz power. Sorry. There has been a lot of overseas interest. :-S

Loaner programs are cool. I'm trying hard not to sign up for this.

Your statement makes no sense. I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. You can't stop buying DACs. These are not the droids you are looking for. ('*_*)/~

Hi, you might want to be more restrictive with the way your loaner program works. Todd at TTVJ has been doing a similar loaner program with some products and I've read of instances where some people have taken advantage of it to steal the products. I don't know what kind of restrictions to suggest though. I ran my own loaner program on Head-Fi back in 2007 which turned out ok, but then I only subjectively chose people who had good feedback, lots of posts, long-time membership, etc. Not to take anything away from your loaner program of course, I think it's a great idea, but as-is it's a little too open for someone to potentially steal a D100.

I guess since you're a manufacturer, it probably wouldn't be out of line to require a credit card that you could charge, and then reverse the charge after the trial period.

This was, of course, one of my primary concerns. But I've been at somewhat of a loss to figure out exactly what I can do to enforce it. This is in part why I am requiring to know the address, phone number, and tracking number.

I thought about holding against a credit card, but I already offer a 30-day trial period with a full refund minus shipping, so a loaner program that required me to hold against a card wouldn't be much different. ???

I also thought about how loaner programs on established forums allow you to have some idea of how trustworthy a person is based on how long they've been on the forum and history, but I'm unable to coordinate my program on a single forum. There are just too many forums and many of them specialized.

The first person in line for the Canada program is someone I've been communicating with for some time now, so at least I am comfortable sending one to him. I think Canada and U.S. trade problems are somewhat easier to file complaints about--I did have to do file one a long time ago.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be more than welcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

StereoTimes just published an absolutely glowing review of the Neko Audio D100. :D

...I was officially and certifiably impressed...

- David Abramson, StereoTimes

read the full review

The D100 has received rave reviews from a variety of industry critics and customers for its incredible clarity, accuracy, and fidelity. For more information, visit Neko Audio.

Thanks, dinny. :)

tkam's got it right. If someone wants to go to a Mk2, it just costs the price differential (USD $100) plus shipping.

A lot of people's setups won't benefit because their amps would be overdriven. Even if your amp is capable of pushing the watts associated with the additional voltage, there's a fair chance distortion will rise a bunch if you do. It's not always obvious from the published specs though.

If you run balanced consumer audio gear then you probably want the Mk2. Balanced pro audio gear is usually covered with the original voltage levels. In rare cases, like with some pre-amps using rotary resistors or a pot, the lower voltage can be better.

Just thought I'd mention that a bunch of the loaner program reviews have been coming in since it started. They're all published in the two loaner threads (as well as some other places, depending on what other forums the person might frequent): U.S. and Canada.

If you've been wondering about this DAC, now would be a great time to sign up for the loaner program. :) Both queues are winding down, so you wouldn't have to wait too long before your turn comes around.

Also, I should note that if you're within reasonable driving distance of San Jose, California, then I offer free in-home auditions (either my setup or in your home). Just get in touch with me to arrange an appointment.

Some highlights (these are all speaker setups):

"The D100 throws a very clear window on the sound. It has an extremely quiet, black background, and a very relaxed, even smooth sound."

-pardales (full review)

"A very spacious soundstage, both in terms of left-to-right, as well as depth, is evident. The slight flutter in her voice as she sung was also quite remarkable ? I had heard it before but at times it is extremely subtle. The D100 had no trouble picking this up."

-mantisory (full review)

"The D100 does an excellent job here with those notes between the notes that contribute so much to the richness of this track. Nothing at all lacking on the highest notes but never shrill or grating, the D100 is smooth. Again the D100 does a great job, the best way I can describe it is delicate, it seems able to react to the detail of music better than what I'm used to."

-wndrmke (full review)

"With eyes closed I could easily imagine Arturo playing his violin in front of my fireplace. So my take is its no contest comparing the Neko to the Benchmark USB. At nearly similar prices, the [Neko] is my clear favourite."

-jakeman (full review)

"I immediately noticed the deep sound stage and was struck by the fact that I could actually hear all three trumpets separately, each in its own space, even when they played in unison. Compared to the Benchmark the [Neko] D100 MKII was more musical, with less harshness and grain. It was more revealing of details and had a great, stable soundstage."

-hmen (full review)

"I absolutely loved the D100. It is musical, revealing, and has beautiful, full and rich tonality. I also still love the [Music Hall Dac 25.2], I feel it punches out of its weight class when paired with the right tube, but the Neko Audio D100 is way better, more satisfying, something special all the way round and worth the price being asked for it. Definitely 5 Stars! *****"

-emoore44 (full review)

Hi Wes, what is the RMS voltage output of the D100 MKI and MKII? I didn't find it mentioned on your Web site.

Also, I don't mean to offend in any way, moreso of an observation, but I haven't seen any negative reviews of the DAC in the loaner - it's probably just me but I'd hope to see at least one negative opinion instead of all positive. I kinda find it hard to believe the number of people who've liked the DAC so far without anything bad (or at least, less than stellar) to say about it, even about something not necessarily SQ-related.

The peak voltage of the D100 Mk1 is ~1V, the Mk2 is ~2V (matching typical CD player RCA output voltage). That should be a Vrms of ~.707V and ~1.414V respectively.

Absolutely no offense taken. The closest I can offer to a negative review is the one by pardales, who preferred his current DAC to the D100:

"For me, it was just not a match. In my system the D100 was a little too relaxed, and I could not get used to the forward soundstage. The clarity was wonderful but the detail and bass were not quite what they were with my DAC."

You may also notice dburna's review wasn't published (or at least if it was, I'm not aware of where). He felt his opinions matched those of pardales. I did ask him to publish even if it wasn't positive, because I want everyone to make an informed decision, but I think in the end he decided not to. :-\