HeadAmp Pico USB DAC

padam

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a Pico Dac and a Pico Amp as companion pieces for one another, yes?

There is:

• Pico DAC
  • Pico AMP
  • Pico AMP/DAC combo.

I think they talked about the AE2 vs Pico amp about 10 posts back in this thread IIANM. Refer to ASR's post and also Justin said this a few posts further back:

Pico is equal or slightly better than AE-2 except in battery life and RCA connectors

So, there you have it. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry, it's my bad. I knew the Pico DAC+amp maxed out at 16/48 input and thought the Pico DAC only was being programmed to accept 24/96, but that's hardware upsampled (and maybe the DAC+amp was also), as you said. Sorry for the confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about CD players, but I compared it to a Sony 555 SACD player today. (using the input selector on the SRM-T1S with SR-007 MK1 and the same ICs) The Pico DAC held on really well while costing a fraction of the price and being much easier to use. The sound stage was a bit bigger and the sound was a bit smoother on the SACD player overall but the difference was quite small, both sounded very good. Pico will definitely stay for a while I guess :)

• 8 months later...

So in front of me I have a Pico DAC, GLite (v1) and DPS. I also have two of the male-male RCA adapters that came with the Pico DAC. Unfortunately, the Pico DAC will not clear the DPS -> GLite power umbilical unless I attach the PDAC upside down (and therefore reverse the R/L connectors.) This isn't a huge deal, but I was looking forward to trying out this particular Stupid Pico Trick. What would happen if I connected the PDAC to the loop out jacks on the GLite? Would I get sound, get nothing, or maybe blow something up? Do they make 90

• 2 years later...

Necroing this thread to say, dayum does this little DAC deliver. I've been listening to some ambient albums I've not heard since the 1990s and I'm amazed how much more I'm getting out of them. I'm using a decidedly consumer grade receiver driving a pair of NS1000s that are not placed in the room particularly well. In spite of that, the sound is fantastic. Either that I have tin ears.

Necroing this thread to say, dayum does this little DAC deliver. I've been listening to some ambient albums I've not heard since the 1990s and I'm amazed how much more I'm getting out of them. I'm using a decidedly consumer grade receiver driving a pair of NS1000s that are not placed in the room particularly well. In spite of that, the sound is fantastic. Either that I have tin ears.

I think I'm pushing 3 years on my Pico DAC, and still prefer it with my iPad to all the other USB DACs.