Most sibilant recordings?

Dusty Chalk

We all complain about sibilant gear, but microphones and associated gear can put the sibilance right on the source, so tell me about some of your ...erm... favorites?

I'll tell you why I'm asking later. Doesn't matter if the music is good or bad, I'm more interested in the acoustic properties of the recordings.

I'm explicitly not talking about clipping distortion, though sibilance is often emphasized by such (so if it has clipping distortion and/or is badly mastered AND has bad sibilance, then please feel free to post it here). I'm talking about sibilance (mostly in the 2-10 kHz region, it seems). I'm trying to think of a really good example, but if I could, then I wouldn't need this thread. I usually hear it most in earlier pop (pre-1970) recordings.

And yes, what I am looking for is mostly human speech sibilance -- like a mic without a windscreen type sound.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Can't say I'd blame any of the recording gear, just seems to be the worst mastering job in history.

I dunno, Amy Winehouse is pretty god-awful from a mastering/production standpoint. It remains the only album I've listened to and rejected purely on the basis that it was unlistenable from a production standpoint. On topic, it's not particularly sibilant, her voice is just distorted beyond reason.

That Norah Jones CD that everybody seems to rave about. Come Away With Me.

I can put up with it though, because I really do quite like the music. And while typing this it occurs that it was what was played at my aunts funeral. Guess its good I wasn't close to her.

I use Katie Melua's Piece By Piece as a test track for sibilance - really scrapes the chalkboard with some headphones / cables..dB

Yes, this one does rank pretty high on the sibilance scale. (well..if there was one). It is great on some of my setups and borderline unlistenable on others.

Norah Jones -Come Away With Me. I have never found it sibilant, but it really has some other problems such as some weird distortions, clipping on peaks, etc. It can be pretty bad on a really revealing setup.

If you guys think that songs by Katie Melua and Diana Krall are really sibilant, you should try Kylie Minogue and Jesse Cook.

I like all four artists mentioned above and I hardly think that Katie M or Diana K are sibilant when compared to Kylie M and Jesse Cook. I listen to these artists pretty often and I've tried all four artists on the CD3k, W11jpn, O2mk1(717 and T1) Lambda Signature(717and T1), DT880, DT990 and a few others...

I tried Jesse cook via the '05 DT990 and nearly died within 5 seconds of putting it on my ead. Yeach~!

Dusty, if you're using the Leather head, try "Cant Get You Out of My Head", "Red Blooded Woman" and "I Believe In You" by Kylie Minogue... the bass will pound your head and the sibilance will kill you... I know you're pretty tolerant to sibilance but... try those.

On the smoov Leatherhead it might not be soo bad though, but I dunno since I've never tried one. :(

EDIT: Ok, I just remembered this one, its from Cafe Del Mar Vol 14, artist is Tape Five and the song name is Longitude; listen at 1min 30s... I think this one of the worst in my collection, if not the worst when it comes to ssslicing sssibilance. :o

Songbird by Eva Cassidy is a compilation of different recordings done in a variety of times/places, but the track "Wayfaring Stranger" has very audible sibilance. Also happens to be my favorite track on the album, and it's well worth listening to (over and over) even with the recording flaws.