getting a Parasound D/AC-1100

Cankin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you just need patience. ;)

Reversing myself a bit a few posts up (and few months back), a couple weeks ago I took a weekend to really listen to the HD800 and decided to test the DACs I had in the house at the same time. The Extreme Platinum was used a few tube combinations, 16-bit music and MacBook fed. Tops were the Lavry DA10 and Parasound 1100 HD, with the Lavry winning with slightly fuller body and vertical staging (and more air when going Wide PLL). The Parasound really wasn't far behind though. Apogee Duet fell to third being a bit too aggressive for this setup with some music and narrowing in the staging. CIAudio VDA1/VAC1 fell a distant fourth and Audio-gd Compass further behind that both lacking the clarity of the others. Overall further confirming the 1100 HD price-performance ratio.

Since then I've picked up a 1600 HD and modded 1500, but with work and family visiting haven't yet A/Bed against the 1100 HD.

It's getting hard to find ANY Parasound DACs inside the U.S. because all these silly DACaddicts are snapping them up.

So you suggest to take it? Mmmm... This one is a bit hard for me to justify as I already have a Pass D1 unit (so my diet of PCM63's and balanced is complete)... Time for therapy maybe :palm:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After further listening, I am now pretty sure that I will sell the Dodson and keep the 1100. I think the Dodson is just slightly better overall, but it is not necessarily $1k better (which is roughly the spread on the used market), especially considering what may be possible with modz. I love the Dodson, but I think my DAC strategy now is to have my one bang-for-the-buck 90s DAC, and see how things progress this year now that it appears the DAC is back on the audio industry's map.

I'm still tempted by the PS Audio PWD.

• 10 months later...