How in the hell does Facebook work?!!!

archosman

Had a friend of mine who sent me an invite so I went ahead and joined awhile back. I didn't really have the time to mess with it very much so I've left it alone for a couple of weeks.

In the process I've added 2 friends and that's it. My "name" is not my real name. Today I went back and looked in the section where you can add friends. There are a ton of people I know and have worked with in the industry that have popped up! How in the hell is that possible when I don't go by my real name?

Until a certain point. Then it finds all kinds of random people you don't know, with only 1 or 2 friends in common.

And it's true that the user friendliness has gone down the two times it's been noticeably revised and that there's a bit of a learning curve now, which kind of sucks.

I've never understood the whole facebook/myspace craze and even less so the twitter craze. They all seem totally fucking useless.

twitter i don't get. but facebook has been wonderful for keeping in touch with friends. so much easier to do a quick wall post then feel obligated to have a fifteen minute discussion on the phone. then when the friend comes in town and you get together, its not quite as awkward. you have things to talk about because you've been monitoring each others status updates and whatnot. i also like it for local events, concerts, etc., because I can see if any old friends are attending, and we can make plans to meet up and enjoy the show together.

I've never understood the whole facebook/myspace craze and even less so the twitter craze. They all seem totally fucking useless.

Twitter is completely useless and myspace is used to induce seizures and web browser crashes but Facebook has been okay except for the crappy layout changes they've done. It's useful to keep in touch with people that you don't regularly talk to on a daily basis, and sometimes for keeping up with people. Also has whatever contact information people choose to provide.

Edit: Yeah, what posty said.

Had a friend of mine who sent me an invite so I went ahead and joined awhile back. I didn't really have the time to mess with it very much so I've left it alone for a couple of weeks.

In the process I've added 2 friends and that's it. My "name" is not my real name. Today I went back and looked in the section where you can add friends. There are a ton of people I know and have worked with in the industry that have popped up! How in the hell is that possible when I don't go by my real name?

Did you actually fill out any of the profile information correctly? A lot of my recommendations come from high school and previous jobs and whatnot (one person, in particular, with whom I actually have two things in common -- high school and job -- keeps coming up, though they are the wrong year for both).

Otherwise, yeah, it would be friends of your friend.

Oh thank god I'm not alone on that one. Was starting to wonder if there was something I just wasn't getting.

I use facebook to keep in touch with people who are "almost friends", basically. People I like, but don't necessarily want to expend a lot of energy keeping up with. I've had some interesting back and forth banter on facebook, and should have been able to tell I didn't want to go to my reunion, but did it anyway, etc.

x2 or more. Totally self-absorbed bullshit from my perspective. And useless.

I used facebook when it was closed, and used by college students. It was a great way to find people in your class to ask a quick question about an assignment, schedule, etc.

I closed my account when they opened it to everyone.

Even when I had it, though, I never went on. A major pain in the ass, and a time waster.

I should also add that I am a selfish asshole, and prefer to not have contact with random people from my past who don't care enough to keep up with me the old fashioned way. The friends I still maintain contact with are people I truly consider friends.

I should also add that I am a selfish asshole, and prefer to not have contact with random people from my past who don't care enough to keep up with me the old fashioned way. The friends I still maintain contact with are people I truly consider friends.

We definitely have something in common then.