JH Audio stuffs

atothex

@Shelley:

Sporting the JH13s at my desk this morning, using the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC (Home Modules) and HeadRoom Desktop Power Supply. I have tried them out with no music, with a few different types of music, and with Luis's "TOTAL SILENCE" track from something he did awhile back.

With no music playing, at low gain it is pretty much dead silent all the way up the volume range, but after 12 o'clock there is a little "presence" of background that is very faint. At medium gain, it is pretty similar, but the low background starts at 11 and is not above background level most of the way although it is noticeable. At high gain, it starts about 11 o'clock again and is "louder" above 12 than either of the other settings. All in all, very impressive noise floor and there is no point at which I would call it "hissing" because it is a passive sound, if that makes any sense.

With music on, there is no untoward sound to my ears at any gain setting. I listened to quiet pieces and noisy one, and did not get any kind of hiss or noise floor in quiet passages or in between tracks. Unless it is in the recording, that is, because recordings that have a lot of noise come through loud and clear just like anything with these cans. At low volumes there is no hiss or noise floor on any gain setting. I have them playing now and it sounds very sweet and noise-free at low volume (7/8 o'clock on medium).

The TOTAL SILENCE track is just that and I cranked it up all the way with very similar results to the no music playing info above.

All in all, a good match and something that would make a great transportable setup for hotels/road trips/etc.

Al: Thanks for notes about the noise floor with the HR Desktop. This is certainly very tempting indeed. I was planning to do the G-lite + Pico Dac for the office but having an all in one amp/dac (which would make it a possible transportable solution) plus the ability to do optical is very tempting. Do you think the Astrodyne would be noisier than the DPS?

I assume that one cannot use the Portable Desktop as a desktop rig (i.e. keeping it plugged in instead of charging the battery and using it unplugged all the time) without having to get a new battery every year - the size of it is nice.

Wouldn't you be able to take out the battery when youre using it as a desktop rig so you wont wear out the battery?

I would be very interested to know if the answer to this. I thought you could not since you are supposed to send it back to Headroom to have the battery replaced.

Looking at these picture, the batteries looks like they are not easily removable.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/headroom.htm

Maybe I am being naive, but don't you guys think that the Desktop Portable is meant to be on the desktop a fair amount such that the charging system wouldn't kill the batteries so fast? Maybe there is info out there to the contrary -- I have never inquired -- but it would seem to make sense. Ask Tyll.

Al: Thanks for notes about the noise floor with the HR Desktop. This is certainly very tempting indeed. I was planning to do the G-lite + Pico Dac for the office but having an all in one amp/dac (which would make it a possible transportable solution) plus the ability to do optical is very tempting. Do you think the Astrodyne would be noisier than the DPS?

I assume that one cannot use the Portable Desktop as a desktop rig (i.e. keeping it plugged in instead of charging the battery and using it unplugged all the time) without having to get a new battery every year - the size of it is nice.

Shelly, I specifically asked Jorge at HR about leaving the Desktop Portable plugged in all the time and he told me that it was fine and could handle it. He never mentioned this increasing the number of times the battery would need to be replaced but I didn't ask either.

Still waiting for the balanced portable JH13 amp notions to hit this thread. I've envisioned dual mini3 cards in a small(ish) enclosure with liPoly bat. Is there such a thing as a very small 4-channel digital attenuator? Not too worried about a 4-pin connector, as it would be easier to hard wire the (dedicated) phone out lines to standard 2-pin connectors that fit the drivers. Single-ended input.

Am I crazy (don't answer that)?

Still waiting for the balanced portable JH13 amp notions to hit this thread. I've envisioned dual mini3 cards in a small(ish) enclosure with liPoly bat. Is there such a thing as a very small 4-channel digital attenuator? Not too worried about a 4-pin connector, as it would be easier to hard wire the (dedicated) phone out lines to standard 2-pin connectors that fit the drivers. Single-ended input.

Am I crazy (don't answer that)?

Not crazy, there's already a group of us working on it. ;)

Except for that whole battery powered bit, funk that.