Ye Macce Threade

Multiple users logged on simultaneously running servers is hardly a typical use case for a laptop. Especially a 6 year old laptop. My kids have a 2006 MacBook running lion that runs the sims, word, Firefox, etc with no problems. And a 6 year old laptop is really damn old.

Multiple users logged on simultaneously running servers is hardly a typical use case for a laptop. Especially a 6 year old laptop. My kids have a 2006 MacBook running lion that runs the sims, word, Firefox, etc with no problems. And a 6 year old laptop is really damn old.

Multiple users logged in used to be very typical with the iMac in our kitchen. I'd be logged in and running iTunes and several media servers, and wife comes home and logs in to do her stuff, without logging me out (to avoid disconnecting people using the media being served). Or the kids come home from school and they briefly they log into the iMac or my son's MacBook in the family room to check Facebook or homework assignments. It happens all the time.

Limited RAM is what made this unworkable with Lion, a point I was making to Brian. They ran just fine with Snow Leopard, and more RAM fixed it with Lion. But what happens when you can't physically add more RAM? In the case of the Macs limited to 3GB you can't do anything. Well, in a MacBook Air or Retina you'll be in the same spot In just a few years if you don't max it when you buy it.

So, to morphsci, I was just responding to Brian when he asked about whether maxing out the RAM was really making the rMBP future proof or not. I offered that having maxed RAM that can't be upgraded is sometimes the reason why a machine can't support a future OS, and sometimes it's planned obsolescence where Apple won't support older hardware like certain video cards. It's not always because the computer is too slow, too old, or failing.

Staying with the old Mac OS won't be as big of an issue as having an iPad that won't run iOS 6, because it will be a big pain in the ass when software that you already own stops supporting iOS 5. I remember being jailbroken on iOS 4 when iOS 5 came out, and many apps started breaking under iOS 4. No more simply clicking "update all" if all your devices can't run iOS 6, or else you have to dig all the "old" apps out of the trash after an update, and save them in case you want to re-install them later.

So, if I can't install ML and can't afford a new Mac I'd suck it up and use Lion. But it would be nice if the core of OS X ML was available for older Macs, maybe minus a few features. There's nothing we can do about hardware RAM limits though.

The reason apple operating systems have improved at a faster pace than Microsoft operating systems was that willingness to let things advance to where they wouldn't support old hardware. If you were happy with your computer for the first year, keep doing what you were doing. Upgrading has costs. Sell your old system and buy a new one if you need the new capabilities. Choose not to spend the money on other things. Make a decision about what matters and don't waffle or blame the people making things better.

The reason apple operating systems have improved at a faster pace than Microsoft operating systems was that willingness to let things advance to where they wouldn't support old hardware. If you were happy with your computer for the first year, keep doing what you were doing. Upgrading has costs. Sell your old system and buy a new one if you need the new capabilities. Choose not to spend the money on other things. Make a decision about what matters and don't waffle or blame the people making things better.

That's why we bought 3 new Macbook pro, and are planning to get an iMac once they are refreshed. We decided to move on, but we expect/hope to get at least 4 years out of these.

I've never been a fan of multiple users on one computer. I suppose I don't like to share.

We each have our own Mac, but for the occasional need to use the closest one we put a separate account on each Mac so none of us would have to share accounts on our Mac.

I say again, does anyone know if it's still possible to get a copy of Lion? My now 4 1/2 year old laptop cannot run ML, and i've been reading about SSD support being much better in Lion than in Snow Leopard.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716&query=lion+usb

I'm doing this right now to get my copy of Lion for my rMBP. Will post if it works. I didn't want to upgrade to ML until I knew I had a working copy of the Lion installer for it.

just prepare yourself for the fact that that's not an ideal use situation for a laptop, so you'll see sluggishness. Especially when it gets to be 6 years old.

Well, I just sold both of the 2007 MacBooks, and the 2006 15" Macbook Pro is still on consignment. So that's almost moot now. I replaced those with three mid 2012 Macbook Pros. All but our iMac will run ML, and we'll lose the iMac when the new ones come out.

just prepare yourself for the fact that that's not an ideal use situation for a laptop, so you'll see sluggishness. Especially when it gets to be 6 years old.

I never thought about it but I guess it makes sense (that multiple users will slow a system down). I wouldn't have thought that it could slow down the machine significantly though.

I have an admin account (that I generally don't log into) and an account that I use on a daily basis for security reasons. Do you think this is significantly slowing down my machine?

it's only when you leave multiple accounts logged in and running things that it'd make a difference, especially if one of the background accounts is acting as an itunes server that someone else is actively using while you are on.

Used the mirror display on Apple TV feature of ML with the Air today to watch Olympics. Worked nicely. I like this option better than using the ipad since I am not such a fan of the NBC Olympics Live Extra app (too difficult to find what you want and I hate trying to get the screen back to landscape mode after choosing an event to watch - why can't we just use the app in landscape mode all the time???).

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716&query=lion+usb

I'm doing this right now to get my copy of Lion for my rMBP. Will post if it works. I didn't want to upgrade to ML until I knew I had a working copy of the Lion installer for it.

FYI - This technique in the link did work to help me create a Lion Installer USB boot drive for the retina MacBook Pro.

To clarify, it uses the Lion downloader that's present on your recovery partition. If you've gone to ML already then it's too late to get it, unless you installed Lion on another drive where you can boot from it and access the hidden recovery partition in Terminal.

After I install ML I will create another USB boot drive for installing ML. These USB drives are great for not having to download the OSX over the Internet. Obviously with a Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery a bootable USB installer not needed, but when you have to do this without a broadband connection the boot USB is mandatory.

The older Lion 10.7.4 installer disks (CD or USB) only work on the Pre 6/11/12 Macs.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict