Ye Macce Threade

Yes, but...

"At a media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, this month, Apple's current CEO, Tim Cook, ducked aside with Messrs. Dorsey and Costolo, according to journalists who saw them, fueling buzz among investors that the companies appeared particularly cozy."

They later were seen at an orgy.

I am going to install ML on my Air later today. If all goes well, I'll do the MBP15.

However, I realized that I also never upgraded the MBP15 to Lion (it has 10.6.8 right now). Should I upgrade directly from 10.6.8 to ML or first upgrade to Lion and then to ML. I am guessing the former.

It's a Mushkin Chronos, which was very well reviewed.

What happened last night was I used Super Duper to copy my original HDD's contents to the SSD, swapped drives and rebooted. Boot time was impressive, as was FFX loading. I had a 15 minute YouTube clip playing while I did the dishes. It ground to a halt in the middle of the video, and my pointer was stuck on beachball. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, but it did not recover. I then held down the power button to force a shutdown. When I powered the laptop back on, it flashed the "no disk" icon.

I have an Thermaltake BlacX, and when I plug the SSD into it this afternoon, Disk Utility doesn't show any drives connected other than my lappy's internal HDD and optical drive.

From what I've observed, OCZ SSDs have an abysmal failure rate. I have a personal grudge against OCZ because they bought PC Power & Cooling, and ruined them.

Anyone know what Torx size the screws are on the drive sled that early 2008 (13.3-inch MB404LL/A ) MacBooks use? My smallest Torx bit is way too big.

Edited by Knuckledragger

From what I've observed, OCZ SSDs have an abysmal failure rate. I have a personal grudge against OCZ because they bought PC Power & Cooling, and ruined them.

Anyone know what Torx size the screws are on the drive sled that early 2008 (13.3-inch MB404LL/A ) MacBooks use? My smallest Torx bit is way too big.

I'm pretty sure it was a T7

This rMbP is definitely pretty speedy, and the screen is much easier for me to read. So I don't need to use reading glasses for now, which makes me very happy. I special ordered the 16/768 version, to be more future proof. The 23 day way was worth it.

How are you finding the scrolling on the rMBP? I thought it was a lovely machine, but I did notice some scrolling hiccups (not always as smooth as it should be), which I had also read about. The demo unit was under-powered in terms of RAM so I think you definitely did the right thing. But some of this obviously has to do with the video card.

Are we sure about the existing RAM issues (as opposed to future-proofing)? Am considering the rMBP, but the only way I could pull it off would be to use work given Amazon GCs, thus eliminating the possibility of RAM customization through Apple (and the upper model is too expensive). Course there are a ton of pixels, but 8GB seems like a bunch of RAM for non-video editing/CAD operations. Hard for me to believe Apple would handicap their flagship laptop from the start.

Edit: Now that I look at the upper model its base is 8GB too.

Edited by blessingx

How are you finding the scrolling on the rMBP? I thought it was a lovely machine, but I did notice some scrolling hiccups (not always as smooth as it should be), which I had also read about. The demo unit was under-powered in terms of RAM so I think you definitely did the right thing. But some of this obviously has to do with the video card.

Scrolling with the trackpad is very fast and smooth in things like Safari and Word, a bit faster than holding the down key for long periods. I'm not seeing any hiccoughs while downloading three iTunes movies and deleting a 70gb iPhoto library from my NAS at the same time as scrolling.

Are we sure about the existing RAM issues (as opposed to future-proofing)? Am considering the rMBP, but the only way I could pull it off would be to use work given Amazon GCs, thus eliminating the possibility of RAM customization through Apple (and the upper model is too expensive). Course there are a ton of pixels, but 8GB seems like a bunch of RAM for non-video/CAD operations. Hard for me to believe Apple would handicap their flagship laptop from the start.

I'm basing "Future Proof" on the fact that older Mac computers with gobs of RAM at the time They were released often have too little RAM after just 3-4 years of OS X upgrades. Our "late 2006" 15" MacBook Pro and iMac came with 1GB RAM but were limited to 3GB max. 3GB was barely enough for Lion, and almost unusable with two users logged in at the same time and running background tasks like music servers and such. With Snow Leopard we could run multiple apps under multiple users with 3GB, ripping DVD's in the background and running iTunes and Twonky server in the background. With Lion forget it. What will it be like with OS X 10.10 Honey Badger?

Apple seems to think that some older Macs should be retired a bit sooner than many of us think they should, so they build an OS that excludes many older Macs, based either by not supporting certain old hardware components or having an OS that wont work within the Mac's RAM limits. Some people bought Macs only 4 years ago and can't use them with ML now. We had 4 Macs that can't accept ML now..

Our late 2007 MacBooks were just fine with Snow Leopard, which we bought in 2008, and 2GB was plenty with SL, and once there was enough RAM they ran great with Lion. Yet these Macs are not supported with Mountain Lion now due to older video cards, despite 64 bit CPU processors. Planned obsolescence in action. They could run fine for years with 6Gb if we stuck with an older OS, but apple has made it such that if we want to take advantage of the new OS we have to upgrade the hardware before it's time. True, there is no way to "future proof" against something like this, but increasing RAM demands by apps and OS will continue for the foreseeable future.

What kind of demands will future operating systems demand on the hardware? If 4-8 GB is just enough now (ESP if using apps like Amarra), imagine how much we'll need in just a few years. I figure in 3-4 years the 8GB will barely cut it, and you won't be able to upgrade the RAM so performance will suffer. If you plan to replace your Mac every 3 years when AppleCare runs out then it's probably a non-issue, but we tend to keep our Macs for 4-5 years.